Sign in with
Your question

I7 950 vs Phenom II X6 1090T Black

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2010 8:32:38 AM

I have $3000 AU to spend on a new system This includes Monitor Keyboard Mouse and OS. Looks like a choice between a Phenom 1090T Black , based system, or a core i7 950. What do you think gives the best bang for buck? Here"s a rundown of the bits i was thinking of using.

AMD system
Penom II X6 1090T Black, GA-890FXA-UD7 , 8GB Kingston DDR3 C8 1600mhz, XFX HD5870 850M , Spinpoint F3 1TB , Corsair cooling hydro H50 cpu cooler (look i live in West Australia and trying to get water cooling parts out here is not easy, that's the only kit i could find readily available in the shops.) I figure that the AMD cpu uses more power and runs hotter then the i7 . Big air might be a better solution. But that's why i'm asking for opinions.
Rest of system is as follows Corsair 850W psu , Centurion 690 II case , LG Blu Ray writer(i think i prefer the pioneer in the same price range) Asus 24" monitor, Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2010,(boring but i need it)

The i7 system uses most of the same parts. No water cooling required?(saves some cash) mobo is GA-X58A-UD5, 12 GB Kingston DDR3 C9 1600mhz.

Spoilers.
Well i need floppy support because my partner is paying 1/2 and she still uses them to store essays and stuff. I can't get her near a thumb drive, so floppy's it is. One of the reasons for choosing the Gigabyte boards is that they still support this.
Overclocking ?Well yes of course. But I am no expert at this. So it will have to be like beginners OC stuff. Above all I need something stable that wont crash and stuff the last few hours editing (or whatever) up.
I'm not hung up about using ATI cards, Seemed like the best solution for AMD . Nvidia might be better for Intel.
The system will get used mostly for editing/manipulating audio files. Plus some video. I will, I expect, get into games on it. (currently use a 360) The pc I use at the moment is about 7 years old.... Yep.... runs an Athlon at 1300 odd mhz .Please stop laughing. As you can imagine Games are not an option.
Originally I was definitely going for AMD as I thought I wouldn't be able to get near it with Intel for the same money. Turns out that the gap wasn't near as big as I thought it would be. In fact I'm pretty flexable about all the components, So what do you all reckon? Ive been researching this for a while now. Seems the more I find out the less I know.
All my life I've been cobbling systems together out of hand me downs and 2nd, 3rd hand stuff. It's interesting (in a sort of masochistic way). But I've had enough. Really looking forward to having a computer with more power than today's average 'phone!!

More about : 950 phenom 1090t black

October 1, 2010 9:08:14 AM

Well 1st off. The H50 doesn't perform like a true water cooler. It's comparable to 120mm air coolers. So if you think you need water, get true water. If you're on the fence just get air

You really haven't said what you are going to use this for. There are erd flags for me, like a bluray burner, thats really really excessive, but you haven't said what your intent of the build is.

When we know that, we can help you more.
October 1, 2010 3:34:34 PM

Why are there 2 identical threads? Never double post threads, edit the other.
Related resources
October 1, 2010 9:52:27 PM

Intel i7 950 build all the way, but if you're going to be over clocking, the i7 930 will be good enough, but if you think that extra 200Mhz clock speed is worth the extra money, there's no stopping you from choosing the i7 950 over the 930. I don't see a SSD in your build. High end systems like yours won't be high end with out a SSD or two. Your system is going to bottleneck and you won't see the real potential of that kickass processor. Tom's benchmarked the AMD X6 CPUs against a non-overclocked i7 920 and guess which one came out on top? If you're looking for best bang for your buck in the high end systems, AMD won't be able to compete. They control the low end, budget market.
October 2, 2010 10:31:53 AM

Thanks for the reply's. Sorry about the two threads. But first one I posted by accident before a finished writing it. I looked about but couldn't find it again or figure how to delete it. See I never used a forum before so I am apt to make some pretty dumb mistakes.
About the SSD, or lack of. I aim to get one on the system in the near future. Hoping that prices may be set to start taking a noticeable hit soon.
I also would expect to put a second gpu on as soon as funds allow. With the speed that these cards are developed at at I suppose it would have done quickly or I might have trouble trying to find a second card the to match the first one fitted at time of build
I didn't rate the water cooler offered by the shop either. But its the only one they do. Like I said where I live if you go to a shop and ask about it (water cooling) they look at you like your from Mars or something. Just not catered for in West Australia. Not that I know of. I will I expect go with air.
BlyRay burner is only taking about 7% of the budget ($189AU) so I hadn't thought that excessive . I could be wrong but I don't think that DVD disc's are going to be obsolete very soon. I figure if I don't make full use of it straight away I will in the future. I have an interest in working with video and thought it would be useful to be able to produce stuff in the BluRay Format.
So apart from that and a lot of sound files (I play in a band [not a successful one] and i am the one that records the music.) So the tracks need editing and mixing and tweaking etc.
I reckon to start gaming. Like I said I Use an Xbox 360 at the moment. I like FPS games such as Halo . But i never really tried gaming on a PC before I always had consoles. From a Sega Master System onwards(showing my age now).
I will have to keep this system going for a lot longer than a many people on this forum probably do. Purely due to the fact that I don't have a much money coming in . What I hope to build will be way more powerful than I need. But in a couple of years time when its "specs are pretty ordinary(at best) compared to whats available I hope it will still be able to cope with the software that's being produced. I know that's by no means ideal. But I have no choice but to work within the realms of what I can afford.
Most of what little i know about today's hardware comes from reading up on stuff at this site. It"s a steep learning curve for someone sill running an original Athlon. I realize my questions might be the wrong ones or not relevant. So if your patient enough, bear with me, help me learn. Thanks.
October 2, 2010 10:56:54 AM

Clarification about posting two threads the same. I had a look and it would seem that another user posted a thread with almost the exact same title ,within a couple of days of me. What are the odds??
He also sighted a similar patten of use to me including Blu Ray , spooky? Perhaps.
Well the other dude got some reply's as well . Iv'e just been reading them . He's gone for the intel base system. It would seem that AMD is going ever further out of the ball park on this one.
Is that the thread you are referring to Mr Pizza ? or am i just compounding my errors?
October 3, 2010 4:34:12 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Well 1st off. The H50 doesn't perform like a true water cooler. It's comparable to 120mm air coolers. So if you think you need water, get true water. If you're on the fence just get air

You really haven't said what you are going to use this for. There are erd flags for me, like a bluray burner, thats really really excessive, but you haven't said what your intent of the build is.

When we know that, we can help you more.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't rate the cooler offered by the shop either. But it is the only one they do. Water Cooling is not well catered for in West Australia. When you go in a shop and ask about it they look at you like you just escaped from a mental health unit or something.
The Blu Ray is only $189AU . Less than 7% of build cost. I hadn't thought it excessive. I Got a lot of Video Files on HDD. Used to have a lot more till 1 of my drives failed a while back. Want to get it on to disc. Looking to future use. I think the cost of the medium is going to come down some. I may be wrong. It's just how I see it.
So apart from the video editing. I have a lot of sound files from the band I work with to edit ,mix down , tweak etc. I plan to start gaming on this PC as it should be well capable of turning a decent frame rate on the sort of FPS and driving games i currently play on my XBox 360. Hope that helps you to help me. Thanks for your time.
October 3, 2010 4:39:06 AM

Mr Pizza said:
Why are there 2 identical threads? Never double post threads, edit the other.

Not to sure. I know that i accidentally posted one before i had finished writing it(fat fingers!) .But i thought i had deleted it. Before putting up the second attempt. There is another thread from anther user with the almost exact same title and posted at close to the same time as mine. It could be that. Otherwise apologies for the the blooper. I haven't used forums before. So i expect it wont be the last ball i drop whilst leaning.
October 3, 2010 5:01:35 AM

masterasia said:
Intel i7 950 build all the way, but if you're going to be over clocking, the i7 930 will be good enough, but if you think that extra 200Mhz clock speed is worth the extra money, there's no stopping you from choosing the i7 950 over the 930. I don't see a SSD in your build. High end systems like yours won't be high end with out a SSD or two. Your system is going to bottleneck and you won't see the real potential of that kickass processor. Tom's benchmarked the AMD X6 CPUs against a non-overclocked i7 920 and guess which one came out on top? If you're looking for best bang for your buck in the high end systems, AMD won't be able to compete. They control the low end, budget market.

The extra for the 950 isn't a problem. for me. Is there less headroom for overclocking a 950 over a 930? In general terms I mean. No two processes are exactly alike. So if you were lucky with your 930 and unlucky with the 950 . You could find the 930 whipping the 950. But in general terms. what do you think?
SSD's yeah i wanted to get one , at least for the OS but i cant afford one without crucifying the rest of the build. Best i can manage is to build the system now and save towards one within the next 3 or 4 months. I have cash flow problems (Ha Ha). I am hoping to see the prices of SSD's start to take a noticeable hit in the next few months. We shall see.
I supose that I looked at the AMD cpu because
1/ I have had a lot of AMD stuff in the past. I am writing this message out on a Original Athlon Clocked up to a whopping 1332 mhz. (Yawn) Pathetic i know. But it was half decent when i built it about 7 years ago!
2/ I was attracted to the idea of having the very best CPU that a company produced. There's no argument that an i7 extreme wouldn't wipe the floor with the Phenom but it is way out of my (and most peoples)price range.
3/ I thought that the equivalent Intel system to a well fruited up Phenom 1090T Black would be a lot more cash. Turns out i was wrong on that one, i think. As the Intel build is less than $100AU more. albeit with a one spec down mobo from gigabyte (UD5 as opposed to UD7 for the AMD) But includes 12GB of triple channel Ram , only 8 GB of ram one the AMD build.
October 3, 2010 5:14:46 AM

Quote:
well with the right pc your gonna love fps on pc and faster gameplay for that matter :sol: 

Well i certainly hope so. Thing is consoles are pretty good at what they do. When I'm playing Reach on my 360 there are times, when it's all "full on" set to hardest, that it slows a bit, becomes that little touch jerky. These are not the times you want to find your aiming getting compromised. You generally end up flayed when that happens!! But 99% of the time it plays smooth as, and looks great on a 42" Plasma. I also do a lot of driving games. And i got to tell ya being honest. On Forza 3 there are certain bits of certain tracks where it goes kinda "slomo" on ya. . Can make things easier for you if you know to expect it. But it's not what you really want or expect to happen.
October 5, 2010 3:32:57 AM

Quote:
screen size makes no difference to performance the internal resolution is what makes lagging consoles

beleive me if u want me to put an amd system together u would`nt beleive the cost its really cheap in comparison to intel offerings also in games there is almost no difference in performance :sol: 

Yeah i'm with you about screen size not effecting frame rate. Its just to say that not many people have big screens for playing games on.
Is that right?
Or do PC gamers mostly hook up their PC's to their T.V's these days? Because my T.V. has a connector for a P.C. so i was hoping that i would be able to rig it as a monitor for P.C. games .
Because consols are a defined and stable development platform, software writers have the chance to (with time) to really work out how to get the best out of a particular hardware architecture. So you notice that games on consols see some good improvements over the lifespan of the unit. I think with "Halo Reach "and other recent titles the game writers have really started to bump up against the limits of what the 360 is capable of.This it seems to me is different to the way PC software (particularly game software) is developed. Which i think of more as a "push me , shove you " kind of contest between hardware and software developers.
Can you tell me more about an AMD system that you rate as good and cheap?
October 7, 2010 1:15:09 AM

Quote:
ok:
amd phenom2 x4 955 black edition

msi 790fx-gd70

geil black dragon ddr3 1600mhz

2 ati radeon 5770`s crossfire

850 watts psu

nzxt phantom atx case

coolermaster hyper 212+

this will play everything on the market easily

i should know this is the rig i own
im upgrading to the two radeons at end of month though

O.K.
thanks amd655, i will price it up. The more you find out about all this stuff the less you know what to choose. Like everything in life. I don't think there is one right answer. Different solutions suit different people.
November 23, 2010 4:58:23 AM

Hey you're pretty much spot on with you're i7 950 build. I do extensive research and came up with an almost identical system:
I7 950
Asus p6x58d-e
12 gb 1600 or 2000 mghz
2x ati hd6850
Corsair hx or ax850 watt
Blu ray reader only
Haf x case
Corsair f120 SSS
H50 cooler
Logitech g9x and g15 mouse/key
24" hd LCD

I can get all that for $2000-2200 usd if I look for deals. Ps the h50 will be fine but you could do a noctua d14? If you want even better air cooling. You got the right idea though on your setup
November 25, 2010 1:45:55 AM

2221399,16,769197 said:
Hey you're pretty much spot on with you're i7 950 build. I do extensive research and came up with an almost identical system:
I7 950
Asus p6x58d-e
12 gb 1600 or 2000 mghz
2x ati hd6850
Corsair hx or ax850 watt
Blu ray reader only
Haf x case
Corsair f120 SSS
H50 cooler
Logitech g9x and g15 mouse/key
24" hd LCD

Thanks for the interest. I have decided to put off the build to the first quarter of 2011. I hope that the arrival of Fusion and Sandy bridge will bring down the price of i7 CPU's a little, and possibly the main-boards as well. I might be able to squeeze in the cheapest intel 6 core. I think the more cores the better. Software will continue to develop to make better use of them.
Also the choice of graphics cards is up in the air at the moment. So a short waiting game seems like the way for me to go.
I have had some good advice from this forum. And been given some good sites to glean information from . Check out Atomics guide to PSU's, sorry no hyperlinks , just text.
http://forumsatomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=266
Lots of good stuff here. Will lead you to places like Anandtech, Jonnyguru, Silentpcreview and Hardware Secrets. Loads of reviews of all things PC. I'm sure there are other good places to go. Theses are just the ones i know of.
I have decided to upgrade the case to a Silverstone Fortress 2. Interesting design i think. Main board turned 90 degrees. Blows air up from the base past vertical graphics cards. Using convection as an active part of cooling. Disadvantages i have noticed as follows
1/ Price
2/Some difficulty with fitting the longest GPU's
3/Length of optical drives for top mounting bays may be an issue
4/If you need a DVI to Display port adapter you might not get the top cover on properly unless you can find a right-angle adapter.
Seems like a lot of problems. But they relate to choice of hardware inside.
You are going with a Haf X i see. Good case. I originally discounted it because of price. But i will give it another look now i have decided to spend more.
The P6 boards look good on specs' . But i couldn't find much about them to compare with Gigabyte. I will do some more digging.
The H50 is not, apparently, a very good cooler.An H70 is now available, I don't know if it is a significant improvement. Water cooling is still seen as a bit Sci Fi in West Australia. It's hard to find a choice of products. I think i will go with a Noctua or Megahelems( spelling??)
I also hope that a Revodrive or Angelwing SSD may be possible. If the prices take 1 more hit downwards. I should be able fit one in.
So now to the economizing.
12 gig of ram is i have been told "excessive" So i will downgrade to 6gig.
Optical drive will just be duel layer with lightscbe. not Blu-Ray.

That's about all.
Enjoy your build.
Just another few months for me on this coal fired Athlon PC.
Flawed.

November 25, 2010 7:30:34 AM

Im not sure where you live but here in Indiana, USA i7950 are going for $270 usd. Newegg has a i7950/x58 sabretooth/Haf X combo for $565 usd during the black friday season. Thats $150 for the sabertooth, $180 for the Haf X, and $235 for the i7950 (usd of course). Shipping in the US is $3.00 this weekend. I basically could build the above system for $1700 USD which in my opinion, is awesome. I would definitely go with a Noctua D14 over an H50 or even H70 at the same price. They only average 1-2 deg C above the H70 in full load but are like 20db quieter in full load. Well worth the trade off. I dont care how cool the H70 looks if its 57db! You could buy all your price-stable components (Case,PSU,Blu-Ray,maybe SSD) whenever you find good deals and start saving for Sandy Bridge or the 2600k coming in the summer (?).

Overall, Im in the same boat as you. I can kinda afford to buy a system now but I want to pay off some education debt first. Its just cool to see that great minds think alike when it comes to PC Hardware.
November 27, 2010 1:34:57 AM

2222536,18,769197 said:
Im not sure where you live but here in Indiana, USA i7950 are going for $270 usd. Newegg has a i7950/x58 sabretooth/Haf X combo for $565 usd during the black friday season. Thats $150 for the sabertooth, $180 for the Haf X, and $235 for the i7950 (usd of course). Shipping in the US is $3.00 this weekend.

I live in Perth Western Australia. ( I call it "The Wild Wild West") But I come from London England. And to tell the truth I was pretty stoked to find out that someone else had reached pretty much the same conclusion as I had for a build.
Jeez .That looks like a deal. Sabertooth is understandably not as full featured as a more expensive board. But there's not much wrong with it for the money . I think I read some reviews somewhere that criticized the spacing of the expansion slots. So you might need to be a bit wary depending on your video card setup. . Should be O.K. with ATI though. it's only the Nvidia behemoth cards that recommend triple spacing as far as I'm aware.
This is a bit off subject. But i don't suppose anyone's gonna mind too much. This thread ain't exactly a hot topic at Tom's.
I started off a few months ago with hardly any nouse about today's hardware. I don't really have much cash. I traded a complicated life with some money, for a simple life with little money some time ago.I had no plans to be getting a new PC.The one I'm doing this on is like 7 years old. It's terrible, but you can manage with it if you don't mind waiting .. a ...while... for ... anything... to ....happen!! Then at tax time the accountant told me and the misses that we could write off up to $3500AU on a PC and get it back this July. Woo Hoo !! So I realized I had better give myself a crash course in "what's hot and what's not" in PC's
My experiencing of going to retailers without a good idea of what you want is that it leads to you getting whatever they have on the shelf that they make good money on!!
I thought that i would end up with an AMD system because of the big price gap to Intel. However going into a computer shop in Perth and saying the words "Phenom X6" gets a reaction akin to vomiting on the salesman's desk more often than not!
When I found a shop that could talk turkey on both brands I found out that the price gap was nowhere near as big as I had thought. I quickly settled on the i7/ X58 platform as being the way to go. It may well be more than I need at the moment. But I reckon one good way of future-proofing is to start off with the biggest stick possible.
Lets face it the i7 platform is going into retirement (new sockets coming ,again!). By the time I build this system (1st Q 2011) everybody will be queuing up to jump on the Fusion / Sandy bridge express. I would be too but i don't think i could afford it.
I have seen a fair bit in the (various ) medias about now being the time to upgrade or buy a new system . The platforms we have are mature and well debugged. The prices are affordable and this is the moment of best price vs performance vs usability. I don't really agree with this. The argument has merit. But i think (hope) that there will be one more round of price cuts on i7 / X58 solutions before they are truly relegated to the place of yesterdays news. As for that deal on newegg. Well it looks tempting. As with most deals you end up with a bundle that isn't entirely made up of your first choice of components. But it looks like good value for sure, and should perform well. Cheers.... Flawed.....
!