Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What GPU Specification is the most important?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 19, 2010 8:39:34 AM

GDDR Memory Type? Memory Size? Memory Interface (Bit) ? Core clock? Stream Processing Units? Memory Clock? or is this a dumb question?
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2010 9:01:19 AM

i believe the things you listed above are not features but are specifications instead.

features comes in the form of eyefinity, stereo3d, gpu-accelerated, physx, video-transcoding etc.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 9:31:09 AM

wh3resmycar said:
i believe the things you listed above are not features but are specifications instead.

features comes in the form of eyefinity, stereo3d, gpu-accelerated, physx, video-transcoding etc.


Read the title.. OP has clearly asked as to which specification (not feature) is most important..
m
0
l
Related resources
August 19, 2010 9:35:07 AM

Emperus said:
Read the title.. OP has clearly asked as to which specification (not feature) is most important..



no he was right, i did say feature i just changed it...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 9:38:38 AM

There may not be a perfect answer to this query.. I guess any aspect that cannot be altered is important.. For instance, the clock speeds can be altered (mostly) so they do not count as the outright factor.. Rest all specs such as memory type and size, shades units etc cannot be changed thus become a more important factor..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 9:41:46 AM

My apologies to wh3resmycar.. I checked the post after he had changed the title it seems..
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 10:01:19 AM

Both cards have different aspects that are important. But in general, core clock, video memory are important.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2010 10:36:37 AM

Hmm...
I would say memory type (ddr3/ ddr5) and bus. Higher memory with higher bus+good, imho. :) 

For eg: 512 mb ddr3 on a 256-bit bus isn't necessarily better than 512 mb ddr5 on a 128-bit bus. But a 512 mb DDR5 on a 256-bit bus IS better.
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 10:51:57 AM

Quote:
Do u even know what are u talking about.5770 has core clock higher than 5850.does that make it faster than 5850.

Yes i do.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 10:55:43 AM

If you want to use it for gaming consider:

1920x1080 resolution:
Memory - at least 1GB, anything lower 512 is fine. On Namelessonez's note: a combination of larger memory size, higher frequency and wider interface is always better.

Core Clock speed / Units / shaders = I think this depends on the whole architecture of the card. Take the nVidia GTX 465 and gtx 460 for intance. The 465 has more of everything faster core; but the 460 has better resource management so it can produce the same performance at lower temps and less energy.

A good place to start is to look at Tom's charts as a guideline to figure out what you need.
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 10:59:12 AM

I don't really pay much attention to the specs. I look at game benchmarks.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 11:04:40 AM

do the model numbers behind nvida and ati make a huge difference? like ati 4670 and 5670?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 11:26:46 AM

^^Yes they do. For ATI the first one normally denotes generation of the cards. Like HD5670 are the latest DX11 cards. HD4670 is the previous generation DX10 card. The next numbers determine the performance segment it falls into. General would be higher the number, higher the performance.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2010 11:46:54 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
Both cards have different aspects that are important. But in general, core clock, video memory are important.


The bit width of the ram is also important. I've seen cards that performed poorer (or were made into lower end models) by cutting the width to half (i.e. 256-bit -> 128-bit).

On some instances this could cut performance by half or more.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 11:54:32 AM

computernewb said:
do the model numbers behind nvida and ati make a huge difference? like ati 4670 and 5670?


Both cards perform the same in games but the 5670 has all the new tech like Eyefinity, DX 11, and and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 12:41:30 PM

amnotanoobie said:
The bit width of the ram is also important. I've seen cards that performed poorer (or were made into lower end models) by cutting the width to half (i.e. 256-bit -> 128-bit).

On some instances this could cut performance by half or more.


I remember many cards who suffered because of one aspect being reduced.
m
0
l
August 19, 2010 12:54:29 PM

You can't really just look at the "specs" to see how well a card will perform. Benchmarks and actual testing are the best ways to judge a card.
m
0
l
a c 358 U Graphics card
a b } Memory
August 19, 2010 12:59:48 PM

dont_look@me said:
Both cards perform the same in games but the 5670 has all the new tech like Eyefinity, DX 11, and and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming.



The HD 5670 has on average a 25% performance edge over the HD 4670. However, it is slower than the HD 4770.
m
0
l
August 26, 2010 10:39:33 PM

Best answer selected by blink180heights.
m
0
l
!