High pitched noise from Gigabyte mobo (H67MA-USB3-B3)

infinite4

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Hey everyone, recently I have been hearing a very high pitched noise (almost like a dog whistle) come from motherboard, around my CPU area. I don't believe it is a whine from any of the fans, including the CPU fan. It will go in and out when I type or move the mouse, but if I am idle on my desktop or browsing the internet it is almost constant. However, when I am playing a game it will also disappear completely unless I am at some sort of loading screen, then it will come back. I can say for sure that it is NOT my GPU and although PSU's are known for this type of sound, I don't believe it to be my PSU either. I really heard it mostly around my CPU and I have an enormous GPU, which sort of blocks any sound from my bottom mounted PSU when I try to pinpoint the sound (which tells my that because I hear the noise around my CPU, it really can't be my PSU). I have checked voltages on my ram to make sure they are configured correctly in my BIOS, which they are.

Any ideas on what I can do to remove this sound, or what is actually making/causing it?

MB - Gigabyte H67MA-USB3-B3
CPU - i3 2100 3.1ghz
Mem - 2x2gb DDR3 G-skill 1333
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200rpm
PSU - Cougar 700w CMX
GPU - Sapphire Radeon Toxic HD 6950 2gb
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
While you are hearing the whine, BRIEFLY stop your CPU fan and see if the noise continues. If the pitch changes, let the fan spin for 30 seconds, then disconnect the HSF power from the motherboard and if the noise goes away, you have found your problem. I know you think it isn't the HSF but try this, often noise reflects odd in a chassis and you will hear a sound from a far away component in odd spaces. Also, try disconnecting your HDD and see if the problem continues.

Let us know what you find with these first steps. and remember, stop the fan for SHORT amounts of time.

infinite4

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Allow me to elaborate a bit more. I've stopped the HSF quite a few times, the noise was still there. I will most certainly agree with you that noise in a computer can bounce around and be very hard to distinguish where exactly it is coming from, but I have also been quite thorough and can pretty much say for sure that it is coming from around my CPU. I would also agree that it may be a capacitor, but I would never know for sure unless I sent the board in. I have seen a few people with this exact same problem, only on different mobo's. Some seem to have fixed their problem by turning off a certain voltage utility or something similar (not sure the name). But I can't seem to find it in my BIOS, perhaps it is called something different in mine

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
If it gets fixed by changing voltages, I would RMA the board. That is very likely a capacitor issue at that point and since it's still in warranty, get it fixed now before the problem gets worse. Sorry for the late reply...