Sign in with
Your question

USB ports not working

Last response: in Components
Anonymous
December 28, 2010 11:42:42 PM

Hi, I am on XP SP3, using Asus P5N-D motherboard. I was regularly using all my USB ports, located both at the front and back of my PC, for connecting Ipod, phone, camera, HDD and flash drives. Everything worked fine for quite a long time, then for a few days, when connecting an Ipod, the system was giving me a message saying that there is a problem with the connected equipment and it is not working correctly.
Then, finally, all my USB ports stopped to work - they do not recognize anything connected, i.e. I can charge Ipod, but neither Win Explorer nor Itunes can see it.
My system manager does not see any problems, I have tried to update the drivers, tried to uninstall all USB hubs (the system has found them and installed again after reset). I have also tried to clear CMOS memory by removing the onboard battery, but it did not help either.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

More about : usb ports working

Anonymous
December 28, 2010 11:49:44 PM

I have tried this, XP reinstalls them, but they still do not work
January 2, 2011 12:49:48 AM

There are always a few options when it comes to something like this. However, consider these two: Spend a combined 12 hours googling the problem and possibly finding a solution, or spending a few hours backing up data, and one hour reinstalling XP. You will save time by just saving your data, wiping it clean, and seeing if the problem persists with a clean install. Chances are it will work, and all will be fine. If it doesn't work, then you know there is something screwy with your motherboard, and you have all your data in a safe place anyways.

It's my method of choice. It will save you time in the long run, and you will have a nice clean system afterwards if everything checks out.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 3, 2011 8:04:10 PM

I have tried to run Linux Ubuntu directly from a CD, but all the USB ports still do not work. Can it still be XP's fault then?
January 3, 2011 9:22:45 PM

If the USB ports do not work under a different OS, then you can be fairly sure something is up with the motherboard. I would call ASUS's support line and see if there is anything they can tell you differently, but I'd bet that the board is dying.
!