Solved

Hdd selection help

hi i want to know about performance 1tb hdd plz suggest i want new one i need it for serious gaming i want one that doesnt slow down if copying something i mean multitasking and which brand is good seagate wd or else thnx
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about selection help
  1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

Western Digital Black. Best for your purpose....
  2. Western Digital Black Series is for Power Computing as suggested above.

Now, if you really want a real improvement in performance, then get yourself a SSD! :)
  3. The Seagate Barracuda 1Tb should be a similar drive as well, and is cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

One thing to think about, it the seagate is only a 2 year warranty, and the WD Black is a 5 year warranty. You'll need to decide if it's worth the $25 difference.
  4. thnx for replies i dont need anything abt warrant just performance and wd black is 2000rupees expensive thn seagate tell the exact per. dffrnce plz i mean tranfer rate like one drive to another which has fast rate thnx
  5. Load times are a very SMALL part of the gaming experience.

As for MULTITASKING, you'd be best with an SSD for Windows if possible. If it's not in the budget, yes a single 1TB WD Black is a good drive (read my summary for my caveat though), however the 3TB Seagate is also a very good drive (as a second drive; 3TB is problematic as your ONLY drive).

My general recommendation for people goes like this:

Drive #1:
    128GB SSD (Windows and applications)

Drive #2:
    1TB or greater Hard Drive (STEAM GAMES, Windows drive backup, multimedia)

TIPS:
    - I DOWNLOAD to my SSD then anything I keep I transfer to the large Hard Drive (Prevents hard drive having to constantly spin up when I'm on the net)

- I have all my games on a 3TB Seagate drive. This works very well. I have a "STEAM" folder and a separate "GAMES" folder for non-Steam games.

- If you have a Seagate or WD drive, you can get the free Acronis True Image software from their site (I think Seagate has it named differently)
    *Make an initial backup that you always keep

- if you buy an SSD you can CLONE your existing OS to it.

- if you get an SSD, update the firmware

- the SEAGATE drive I mentioned also has newer firmware

SUMMARY:
    - WD 1TB Black is fine, but maybe not best value
    - Seagate 3TB drive is quite fast (don't forget that a Hard Drive is faster on the outer edge. If a 1TB is near full, the inner files are about HALF the performance as the outer; the 3TB is the same, however at 1TB usage performance is all still very high.)

- SSD (Windows/apps) + HDD (games, mass storage, backups)
    - flash firmware on SSD (HDD if available)

CHEERS
  6. so basically no dfrnce btwn seagte and wd 7200rpm?and wat is 7200.12 and7200.14
  7. Best answer
    Seagate is fine. The 12 and 14 are just firmware revisions. Will not make much difference for your purpose. Just make sure it's 7200 rpm....
  8. Best answer selected by tushardehra.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Performance Storage Product