Sign in with
Your question

Perfect GPU-CPU Match Chart?

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2010 2:19:35 PM

I know about the Building a balanced PC reviews but sometimes the data are still too general. What I would like to see is for Tom's to find the perfect GPU-CPU match. Yes, I want Tom's guys to do all the research so I can put together a balanced PC. =) If there is such a chard already out there, please tell me about it.
October 1, 2010 2:54:22 PM

I would second this chart as well but there are way too many factors involved and it gets exponentially difficult when overclocking is involved.
October 1, 2010 3:01:40 PM

I can give you an extremely simple an inaccurate but most of the time true,

CPU GPU
Intel > Nvidia

AMD > AMD

Done.
Related resources
October 1, 2010 4:47:58 PM

If Crysis is your game, the CPU/GPU ratio is different than if you play BFBC2. There is no way to make a chart that works well. Also the parts change so often it would be a nightmare to maintain.

An athonII x3 CPU can handle any single sub $400 graphics card without any bottlenecking worries. That covers about 75% of all gaming machine builds. The i5 760 can handle basically any sub $1000 graphics card solution without bottleneck, which handles another 24%. The Phenom II x4 955/965 has a conditional place for in between those ranges, depending on how CPU intense your games are.

Its rare to get a pure gamer. We also usually use our PCs for business in some form (programming, spreadsheets, homework, hobbies). There is some subjectivity based on usage and price when making a build. There is no simple chart that can substitute for a person that knows whats available at what prices and the uses for which the computer will be tasked.
October 1, 2010 4:50:36 PM

Mr Pizza said:
I can give you an extremely simple an inaccurate but most of the time true,

CPU GPU
Intel > Nvidia

AMD > AMD

Done.

Thats a fail chart. There arent any chipset problems like in the past. Intel motherboards handle Nvidia or AMD GPUs equally well. AMD can no longer SLI so its better to pick an AMD GPU for expandability if thats an upgrade consideration.
October 5, 2010 11:53:46 AM

dndhatcher said:
If Crysis is your game, the CPU/GPU ratio is different than if you play BFBC2. There is no way to make a chart that works well. Also the parts change so often it would be a nightmare to maintain.

An athonII x3 CPU can handle any single sub $400 graphics card without any bottlenecking worries. That covers about 75% of all gaming machine builds. The i5 760 can handle basically any sub $1000 graphics card solution without bottleneck, which handles another 24%. The Phenom II x4 955/965 has a conditional place for in between those ranges, depending on how CPU intense your games are.

Its rare to get a pure gamer. We also usually use our PCs for business in some form (programming, spreadsheets, homework, hobbies). There is some subjectivity based on usage and price when making a build. There is no simple chart that can substitute for a person that knows whats available at what prices and the uses for which the computer will be tasked.

I liked what they did with SC II. If they did that with each major game engines it would rock.
October 5, 2010 11:54:43 AM

dndhatcher said:
Thats a fail chart. There arent any chipset problems like in the past. Intel motherboards handle Nvidia or AMD GPUs equally well. AMD can no longer SLI so its better to pick an AMD GPU for expandability if thats an upgrade consideration.

Did you mean AMD no longer make SLI chipsets?
October 5, 2010 12:31:58 PM

dndhatcher said:

Well if you READ what i said at the top... :pfff: 
!