Your question

Is there any CPU Overclocking Software?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Software
Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2010 2:48:38 AM

I've been told the best way to overclock a Cpu is through the Bios, but I think mine is locked because there isn't any option for changing the speeds anywhere. Is there any software that I can use to overclock a CPU? Kind of like what Rivatuner does for video cards. I have a Core 2 Duo e6700, and its starting to show its age. I'll probably upgrade sometime soon so I don't really care if I fry the one I have now lol. Any help would be great.

More about : cpu overclocking software

December 29, 2010 3:58:45 AM

There is a program that Asus makes called TurboEvo. I use it and it's great. Auto-Tuning for your CPU and MEM. There are settings for Performance or Ultimate. My 3.0 Athlon II X4 will O.C. to 3.5 with perfect stability with this program at the wheel. I don't O.C. unless it's Auto. Hope this helps. (I love your Pic! Stimpy! You Idiot!!)
m
l
a c 213 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2010 4:16:22 AM

Do you have a OEM computer or a custom built machine?

I didn't mind Asus software but is does tend to be a bit more unstable than BIOS.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 29, 2010 4:38:19 AM

It's an OEM HP I've been slowly upgrading it for years, I'm starting to notice my CPU is having trouble with news games. I've never heard of the TurboEvo program, I'll try it tomorrow and see if it works.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2010 4:42:07 AM

FOLLOW THIS LINK to a section in Tom's Hardware. It gives you several options.
m
l
December 29, 2010 4:52:40 AM

suteck said:
FOLLOW THIS LINK to a section in Tom's Hardware. It gives you several options.

Thanks for the link. SetFSB looks good, but in orer to use it I need to find the PLL of my motherboard. Do you now of a site that lists the PLL's for different boards? I think it says you can look for it on a chip on the board itself but I don't feel like tearing the computer open this late lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2010 5:01:02 AM

You should be able to find it in bios. Write it down when you do and reboot to use the software version.
m
l
December 29, 2010 5:01:39 AM

bigtrev85 said:
There is a program that Asus makes called TurboEvo. I use it and it's great. Auto-Tuning for your CPU and MEM. There are settings for Performance or Ultimate. My 3.0 Athlon II X4 will O.C. to 3.5 with perfect stability with this program at the wheel. I don't O.C. unless it's Auto. Hope this helps. (I love your Pic! Stimpy! You Idiot!!)

I tried this out but it said it was incompatible with my computer when i tried to install, which is weird because I have an ASUS motherboard. Maybe I downloaded an older version? I couldn't find any official links on the ASUS site to download the most recent version, where did you download yours from?
m
l
December 29, 2010 5:02:38 AM

suteck said:
You should be able to find it in bios. Write it down when you do and reboot to use the software version.

It's a factory computer. My bios is locked.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2010 5:09:59 AM

Then I believe you're out of luck, You could always put in a small number and go from there. If it helps - I have a gigabyte X58 board and mine at stock is 1.800v and overclocked to 1.900v today :sol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 29, 2010 1:02:05 PM

Unless you are buying a fairly high end model that has more advanced features, it's not just that the BIOS is locked on factory prebuilds. They also use stripped down featureless motherboards, and the board its self may not be capable of anything but the speed it was manufactured to run at even if you can get around the locked BIOS settings, which is exactly what some of these programs can do if board indeed supports higher settings.
m
l