Sign in with
Your question

Help! First Computer Build Gone Horribly Wrong

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2010 3:14:38 AM

Hello,

I am in the process of building my first computer... I will detail the build below and then explain the problem I'm having after.

Motherboard: Asus P6T WS Professional
CPU: I7 950 3.07Ghz
Ram: DDR 3 Corsair 2GB 12800 (6x) (12 GB)
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 470x 1.25 GB (2x)
HD1: 80 GB SSD - Intel mx or something like that
HD2: Old 250 GB HD I harvested from a previous computer
PSU: Corsair TX 750W

So I had everything booting and spent a couple hours with the BIOS screen on, while I tried to figure out what the hell each option meant. I finally configured it, and put my windows 7 CD in for the installation, only to find that my CD-Rom wasn't plugged in to anything but my power supply. So I grab the IDE cable, go to connect it and find that I don't have a IDE port on my motherboard. So I call Best Buy, they have SATA CD Roms I can purchase, no biggie.

So I decide, I'll just boot from my old 250 GB HD, and I'll mess around for tonight with Windows XP Pro. I switch the options, save and exit, and as it's booting up, it poops out on me. All power lost to the computer. Now, I turn on the power supply in the rear, the motherboard lights up like it's receiving power. When I push the power button, it starts to turn on for literally about 1/4th of a second, then turns off. But the power to the motherboard stays green. I have no idea what's going on, but I thought I smelled a little bit of "abused" plastic. I touched several components and didn't find them to be overly hot like this damn laptop I have giving me 3rd degree burns on my leg. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have no idea how to REPAIR computers, let alone build one.
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 3:26:39 AM

might be a bad psu
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 3:27:04 AM

You wont be able to boot to your old drive with Windows preinstalled on it, the motherboard drives are all wrong so it will fail to boot, so the fact it pooped out then is not surprising.

Can you get into BIOS still? If so that may prove helpful. If not, pull the motherboard battery briefly to reset BIOS to defaults. Also go through our failure to boot checklist
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
Related resources
December 29, 2010 3:33:54 AM

Motherboard failing, obviously... motherboard are doing pretty much this all the time when they are screwed. It could be your bios, so I would suggest you to clear your cmos before doing a RMA.

If the problems is still there, don't waste your time, RMA the board as soon as possible and literally change model. I don't care if the critic or an angry fanboy in these forums is telling me Asus is the best damn thing after heaven, if it fails like that it means bad design and bad design mean bad engineering...

Right now, if your computer doesn't post, I will easily point at your motherboard... happened to me more than once... like... 3 times.

If posting... Power supply failure... after that memory, but memory sticks are rarely the cause... power supply and motherboard are usually the most common problems...

December 29, 2010 3:35:43 AM

hunter315 said:
You wont be able to boot to your old drive with Windows preinstalled on it, the motherboard drives are all wrong so it will fail to boot, so the fact it pooped out then is not surprising.

Can you get into BIOS still? If so that may prove helpful. If not, pull the motherboard battery briefly to reset BIOS to defaults. Also go through our failure to boot checklist
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Actually Hunter you can do it, but you are up for serious drivers incompatibility. I did it with my Core 2 duo and it was working... not perfectly, but still working.
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 3:41:25 AM

There are exceptions to everything, there are some times where you can get XP to boot successfully on a new motherboard but most of the time it will fail, but in the same way a single bad board doesnt indicate bad engineering, it indicates a bad sample, the exceptions dont make the rule, so i disagree with your statement about needing to swap motherboard models just because of one bad sample.
December 29, 2010 4:34:37 AM

hunter315 said:
There are exceptions to everything, there are some times where you can get XP to boot successfully on a new motherboard but most of the time it will fail, but in the same way a single bad board doesnt indicate bad engineering, it indicates a bad sample, the exceptions dont make the rule, so i disagree with your statement about needing to swap motherboard models just because of one bad sample.

If one fail, design could be in cause, parts could be in cause, bad manufacturing could be in cause... I have kept the same mobo in the past... and it was the one that failled on me 3 times...

Gigabyte mobo... never again... Asus got their bad design faults too, been there, trap with it. If problems come out of a component, it is usually from the chain of assembly to the engineering... so switch model... simple and safest advice.
December 29, 2010 5:22:01 AM

Had something similar to this a while ago, as above, reset to default bios settings, you may have over tweaked something, run it with just one stick of ram to start off also...some asus board have come across when you have lots of sticks of RAM in require a slightly higher than rated voltage to be set for the ram, used to give me grief....
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 3:11:18 PM

redgarl said:
Motherboard failing, obviously... motherboard are doing pretty much this all the time when they are screwed. It could be your bios, so I would suggest you to clear your cmos before doing a RMA.

If the problems is still there, don't waste your time, RMA the board as soon as possible and literally change model. I don't care if the critic or an angry fanboy in these forums is telling me Asus is the best damn thing after heaven, if it fails like that it means bad design and bad design mean bad engineering...

Right now, if your computer doesn't post, I will easily point at your motherboard... happened to me more than once... like... 3 times.

If posting... Power supply failure... after that memory, but memory sticks are rarely the cause... power supply and motherboard are usually the most common problems...

Errr. I have an ASUS P6T - never let me down, so I think you are being a little bit harsh on the design of ASUS products.

There are plenty of reasons why a new build PC wont bgoot first time around, and yes the old HDD is not a good idea dsue to driver issues. However by trying to boot with an old XP HDD you should at least get as far as an error message stating the HDD is corrupt or MBR is missing.

Best thing to do is start with the minimum - ie... CPU / 3 x stiicks of RAM and a video card. If the system gets as far as trying to bootand not finding a boot device then the motherboard is not necessarily the culprit. Next step (assuming you got passed BIOS) is to power down and then connect you NEW HDD and try again..... if you get passed BIOS, then shut down and connect the CD drive and restart - this time howere you need to set the BIOS to boot from the CD drive and use thw Windows installation disk.

Providing everything up to now has worked then I would suggest installing windows. You can add the other RAM later - at least by installing Windows you will be able to know for sure the CPU / MOBO / Video card are all working.

November 29, 2011 8:39:15 PM

Following up with what the problem was... 6 months later. For whatever reason, the power supply crapped out on me. I got a new power supply, and everything seems to be working well now. I still have a boot issue, but I've started a new thread for that. Thank you all for your help! :-)
!