4 pin molex power from usb

hacman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hi. I work with 2.5 sata drives a lot and am tired of opening my case each time. Is there a way to make a USB to 4 pin molex power connector? Maybe two USB connectors to get enough power, something like this. I would then use 4 pin to sata 15-Pin adapter to the drive, namely a WD2500BEKT. Would that provide enough juice to power the drive?

I use one of these, works a treat. http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=998&bih=431&q=ide+to+usb+connector&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3029655911007484562&ei=kGIbTcHzLJGKhQe72o23Dg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCsQ8wIwAA#

hacman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks guys, all those are really great. But I already knew about them, and wanted to know if I could get enough power for the drive from the USB. If not, the external ac adapter was my plan B, but buying something pre-made is never as rewarding as when you solve a problem with a DIY!

shovenose

Distinguished
you can do something like this (sory its ugly it only took me a few minutes) :)
usbtosata.jpg

(click it to make it bigger)

hacman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Thanks shovenose, I taught about doing it like that (5V to 5V and GND to GND), but where does that leave the 12v (yellow) in the molex? Can the drive still get power without it?

AS for data, I already have a 3.5 bay with an external sata connector, so that's not a problem... and since my usage is mostly in DOS, I best avoid USB.

I'm a little confused, I thought your OP said you wanted to connect your laptop drives to your PC via USB but you were trying to go usb to 4 pim molex then 4 pin molex to sata??

Or have I got it wrong coz you then said you need to stay away from usb??

Or is it that you just want to make your own rather than let someone in HK do it for you? :pt1cable: ? [:fixitbil:1]

hacman

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
For data I've already got en external SATA port to connect my drives to. What I needed was external power, and that's why I wanted to go USB==>Molex==>SATA 15-pin.