Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New 1400$ homebuilt keeps restarting H.E.L.P please!!

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 1, 2010 5:50:25 PM

Hi guys :hello: 

Okay this is my problem..

I built a new computer for my cousin with the following specs:

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R

Processor : i5-760 2.8 GHz 8M Cache

Graphics card : ASUS GTX 480 - 1536 MB GDDR5 384-bit

Ram : Apogee 1333 2Gb×2

HDD : Samsung 500 GB Sata II

PSU : Gigabyte Superb 720W (GE-P610A-C2)

Case : CoolerMaster cm690 nVIDIA Edition

Everything is on default settings, no overclocking no nothing.

But it restarts every now and then. and what's driving me crazy that it restarts when it's idle "i mean no gaming just using

The desktop" and i played some games for like 30 to 45 minutes and it was working pretty well.

I'm really frustrated by the issue :( 

Could i have done something wrong? which i don't think i have.

Could it be the power supply? but it's brand new!!

PLEASE HELP ME :( 

Thanks in advance.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 7:28:49 PM

The #1 problem lately has been RAM. Most RAM is 1.65V, but motherboards default RAM voltage to 1.5. Not enough RAM voltage causes lockups, reboots, etc. Go into bios and manually set the RAM voltage and timings and see if that fixes the problem.
October 1, 2010 7:57:23 PM

dndhatcher said:
The #1 problem lately has been RAM. Most RAM is 1.65V, but motherboards default RAM voltage to 1.5. Not enough RAM voltage causes lockups, reboots, etc. Go into bios and manually set the RAM voltage and timings and see if that fixes the problem.



The RAM says it's a 1.5 v and as for the timing it's auto i'm not sure what to set it on.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 8:13:16 PM

evanescencelover said:
The RAM says it's a 1.5 v and as for the timing it's auto i'm not sure what to set it on.

In the Bios it says 1.5V, which means the motherboard is feeding your RAM 1.5V.

You need to look at the specs for your RAM. Should have been a sticker on the RAM or a piece of paper in the RAM package that give its specs. Otherwise maybe go to the MFG web site and find your exact RAM model for the specs.
October 1, 2010 8:20:14 PM

dndhatcher said:
In the Bios it says 1.5V, which means the motherboard is feeding your RAM 1.5V.

You need to look at the specs for your RAM. Should have been a sticker on the RAM or a piece of paper in the RAM package that give its specs. Otherwise maybe go to the MFG web site and find your exact RAM model for the specs.



Actually i was talking about the sticker lol it does say that it's 1.5 v :) 

I'm kinda hopeless in here, i really need your help :( 

Do you know anything about the psu that i have? could it be the problem? i mean it's just weird that the computer restarts on

Idle state and not while playing a maxed out game or watching and hd movie or something.

And thank you very much for your help so far :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 8:20:33 PM

It could be any thing. I'm leaning towards bad PSU or bad caps on the MB.
October 1, 2010 8:26:36 PM

masterasia said:
It could be any thing. I'm leaning towards bad PSU or bad caps on the MB.


In both cases, how can you tell?? should i take the pc to where i bought the parts from? even though i don't really trust them there.. they know nothing about computers and they have the most cutting edge parts :??: 
October 1, 2010 8:50:18 PM

First just because things are new doesnt mean they are good, it is common for new hardware to be bad right out of the box. It happens.

Have you tried re-seating the Video card and RAM?
Have you tried 1 stick of memory at a time?
Run memtest86 overnight and check for memory errors.
What are your temps?
I have personally had a USB issue that would cause random shutdowns without a BSOD or an error in the event viewer.
I had to shut the system down and unhook all usb connections including anything hooked to the usb headers on the motherboard, Boot into Windows then shutdown and re-connect usb connections and I havent had a problem since.
It could be PSU or Motherbaord too.


None of these may be your problem but it is worth trying before you take it to somebody else.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 8:54:42 PM

The GTX 480 specs are: Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.

That PSU just has 42 amps divided on the 12V rails. Its really a 600W continuous PSU; the 720 is a burst rating. I strongly suspect its not quite enough power for your system. Compare that to this $70 Seasonic 620W PSU that has 48 amps on the 12V rails. That "720W" PSU is actually about 70W weaker than what Seasonic calls a 620W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That is the weakest power supply I would get with that huge power hog of a graphics card. A good quality 750W like this seasonic silver certfied at $110 would make alot more sense.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

October 1, 2010 9:03:49 PM

I agree I would purchase another PSU.
October 1, 2010 9:10:29 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
First just because things are new doesnt mean they are good, it is common for new hardware to be bad right out of the box. It happens.

Have you tried re-seating the Video card and RAM?
Have you tried 1 stick of memory at a time?
Run memtest86 overnight and check for memory errors.
What are your temps?
I have personally had a USB issue that would cause random shutdowns without a BSOD or an error in the event viewer.
I had to shut the system down and unhook all usb connections including anything hooked to the usb headers on the motherboard, Boot into Windows then shutdown and re-connect usb connections and I havent had a problem since.
It could be PSU or Motherbaord too.


None of these may be your problem but it is worth trying before you take it to somebody else.


Re-seated the ram, i even re-seated the processor!!, tried one stick at a time, haven't re-seated the video card, and didn't even think to run a ram test.

I think i'm going to try to re-seat the video card and maybe run a ram test. if it doesn't work i either changing the psu or Taking the pc to the store which i'm really not comfortable with.

Anyways, you guys are the best! you've helped me a lot so far.

And i'm open for any suggestions if anyone has any idea.
October 1, 2010 9:18:45 PM

dndhatcher said:
The GTX 480 specs are: Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 42 Amps.

That PSU just has 42 amps divided on the 12V rails. Its really a 600W continuous PSU; the 720 is a burst rating. I strongly suspect its not quite enough power for your system. Compare that to this $70 Seasonic 620W PSU that has 48 amps on the 12V rails. That "720W" PSU is actually about 70W weaker than what Seasonic calls a 620W.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That is the weakest power supply I would get with that huge power hog of a graphics card. A good quality 750W like this seasonic silver certfied at $110 would make alot more sense.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



If you're saying that the psu is insufficient for the GTX 480, then how come i played tom clancy's hawx maxed out for 30 minutes and played Prototype for about 40 minutes and no restarting?? and i can hear the video card's fan loud which means the it's consuming power but still stable! and when i'm desktop copying files or installing a game it restarts?! :??: 
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 9:57:48 PM

If you think a fan spinning means something is stable you are very mistaken.

That PSU's maximum 12 amperage spread over all 3 rails exactly meets the power requirements. You fire up the DVD drive and the power usage spikes and *ploof* something isnt going to get as much power as it wants. The power from the wall fluctuates downward and as the PSU adjusts *ploof* something cant get enough power. There is no margin for normal fluctuations when your PSU is that close to the edge. I strongly believe you will continue to have flakey problems with that PC until you get a stronger PSU in it.
October 1, 2010 10:23:37 PM

regarding the psu could you please recommend a Thermaltake psu? "it's available in here" and preferably the cheapest one for my system... i spent all my money on my pc
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 10:31:36 PM

Interesting. Makes me glad I happened to choose an ASUS-P7P55D-E pro instead of the P55A-UD3R. :)  Sorry - that doesnt help, does it?

Thats alot of people with the same motherboard with the same problem. I think the guy with the note about turning the
enter BIOS and set:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) disabled...
C3/C6/C7 State Support disabled...
CPU EIST Function disabled...
Performance Enhance to standard
QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.250V
PCH Core 1.200V
DRAM Voltage 1.650V said:
enter BIOS and set:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) disabled...
C3/C6/C7 State Support disabled...
CPU EIST Function disabled...
Performance Enhance to standard
QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.250V
PCH Core 1.200V
DRAM Voltage 1.650V

Since your RAM is 1.5V I would NOT change the DRAM Voltage to 1.65 but try the other settings. What it seems to imply is that motherboard is letting intel turbo boost feature turbo a core too high and it becomes unstable and reboots.

Its possible updating the bios to the latest version might resolve your problem also.
October 1, 2010 10:38:24 PM

some ppl in the same thread said that updating bios to the latest version doesn't help and some of them can't even boot, i'm going to try the bios settings you suggested tomorrow and hopefully it'll work.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 1, 2010 10:40:46 PM

And unfortunately no I cant recommend a Thermaltake PSU. They have too many models and I know some of them are very overrated (like 500W models that really only output 350W).

Jonnyguru tests them and some of the newer, bigger ones are pretty good. Seems Thermaltake has their stuff together with their Toughpower 700W+ PSUs.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
October 1, 2010 11:35:44 PM

Just dont update through the OS use QFlash through the Bios and you should be ok.
October 2, 2010 6:28:03 PM

dndhatcher said:
Interesting. Makes me glad I happened to choose an ASUS-P7P55D-E pro instead of the P55A-UD3R. :)  Sorry - that doesnt help, does it?

Thats alot of people with the same motherboard with the same problem. I think the guy with the note about turning the

Since your RAM is 1.5V I would NOT change the DRAM Voltage to 1.65 but try the other settings. What it seems to imply is that motherboard is letting intel turbo boost feature turbo a core too high and it becomes unstable and reboots.

Its possible updating the bios to the latest version might resolve your problem also.


Just one question regarding the settings before i apply them..

i have an i5 not an i7 like the thread i showed you, so these are okay?

QPI/Vtt Voltage to 1.250V
PCH Core 1.200V
October 3, 2010 4:30:00 AM

I have set these setting below and it's been working fine for 5 hours with no random restarts.

Loading optimized settings - saving and restarting

Then i made the following changes:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) - disabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support - disabled
CPU EIST Function - disabled
Performance Enhance - Turbo
DRAM Voltage is on default 1.5V

No other changes have been made, and i think it should be fine on these settings.

Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate the help.

Btw that was my first built and done like a charm thanks to god and you guys. :) 
October 3, 2010 2:44:33 PM

No problem. Enjoy the Rig. [:bohleyk:1]
!