GPU dilemma.

G

Need advice on whats the best option to do, problem is my Graphics card is dead !, so do I replace it with an even better one or do I go for an upgrade on the motherboard and CPU as well as the GPU.

So Option 1.
This is my old system below.
AMD 6000+ Dual core 2x 3.0ghz
Asus Crosshair NVIDIA 590i AM2
4 GB Corsair ram
PSU 620W Enermex

The Graphics card was a Asus 8800GTX 768mb (Which is now dead)

Whats really bugging me is if I splash out a lot of money on a GPU will my old system above hold the potentail back of my new GPU as in slow it down/bottleneck it ect ? or do I need a good motherboard and CPU to get the best out of the GPU as well.

I want a graphics card that can handle 90% of the games on max settings if possible !, I was looking at the following cards >GTX460 or ATI 8580 or even the GTX470 is not to far out of my budget if needed, but I get the feeling this motherboard I have is not good enough or compatible with the cards I want, if it is ok then can someone recomend the best card for the board.

Option 2 is just more or less a full upgrade Board / CPU / GPU.

ps THX to the guy who gave me advise on homebuilt system.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
What's your budget for the GPU? The 460 is a good card for the money. If you plan on getting a second one later, it'll perform close to the 480, which ain't bad for the money!

Also, it would be a good idea to upgrade the CPU. It may not bottleneck you GPU, but consider a quadcore. I'm also not so sure about your PSU...haven't heard of that brand. Your mobo seems alright though. All boils down to how much you're willing to spend.

G

If its just a matter of replacing the GPU the the budet is around $545/£350 depending on where your from.
But if it comes to just upgrading the system then $1175/£750. or maybe more, I will just have to go broke for a few weeks (NO BEER).
The PSU is a ENERMAX LIBERTY-620W, Model No ELT620AWT. sorry I noticed I spelt it wrong above.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

you don't need to throw everything away. you can pick up the cheapest athlon2x4 or x3 ($100 or less) depending on how much you can flex your budget + a decent am2+ mobo without breaking the bank, that'll be somewhere below 180$. then go fetch a gtx460.

G

I get your point its just that if I am going to upgrade the CPU & Board then I would rather go for someting a bit more future proof, you cant fault me for that, which is why someone advised me on a i5 760 build in the systems build section of toms hardware.
I think I got my question wrong when I first asked. so I will start again.
Will I notice any real world difference if I put the GTX460 on a new board with a new CPU, or will my old system be able to cope with the new GTX460 with out affecting its performance.