Sign in with
Your question

How do I get the sound to work on my 990XA-UD3 Gigabyte Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
August 25, 2011 3:46:42 AM

When I plug my speakers in, win 7 (64 bit) registers them but no sound comes when I run the test wizard. The equalizer is moving so I know to is playing sound. The speakers worked on every other system they have been on. The same thing if I plug in headphones. All drivers are current from man sites. What do you think?

Specs:
990XA-UD3 Gigabyte Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.20 GHz
8 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600
XFX Radeon GPU
a b V Motherboard
August 25, 2011 4:27:40 AM

Make sure your FRONT Audio header is connected. If there is no front audio header, you will need to jump some of the pins to complete the audio circuit. I don't know of the top of my head what pins need to be jumped but, if you cqan, just use an audio front panel header, even if you need to rob the front panel board/ports and cables from another case to do a quick check. This issue occurs with AC 97 audio chipsets and may affect the HD Audio but I'm not positive.

Otherwise, in windows, select the little speaker in the task bar, select the "mixer" option. Look through ALL the program volumes and if any of them are really low or if any are muted, un-mute them and move the volume "slider" up to 50% and see if it's working now. If yopu start getting some sound, you will have found your problem.

I'll do some checking on the pins to jump.

Here you go. These pins need to be jumped on the Audio Header if you are NOT using front Audio.

Complements of tips4pc.com. I take no credit for this image. Accompanying article: http://puttsy.me/nxyD2y
m
l
September 1, 2011 4:32:56 AM

puttsy said:
Make sure your FRONT Audio header is connected. If there is no front audio header, you will need to jump some of the pins to complete the audio circuit. I don't know of the top of my head what pins need to be jumped but, if you cqan, just use an audio front panel header, even if you need to rob the front panel board/ports and cables from another case to do a quick check. This issue occurs with AC 97 audio chipsets and may affect the HD Audio but I'm not positive.

Otherwise, in windows, select the little speaker in the task bar, select the "mixer" option. Look through ALL the program volumes and if any of them are really low or if any are muted, un-mute them and move the volume "slider" up to 50% and see if it's working now. If yopu start getting some sound, you will have found your problem.

I'll do some checking on the pins to jump.

Here you go. These pins need to be jumped on the Audio Header if you are NOT using front Audio.

http://www.tips4pc.com/images/num.gif

Complements of tips4pc.com. I take no credit for this image. Accompanying article: http://puttsy.me/nxyD2y

Thank you for the info. I would not have thought to jump the front audio. I will give that a try and see what happens. I did check the volumes and they are all up and not muted.
m
l
Related resources
!