Sign in with
Your question

System / migration with raid 1 array

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2010 6:02:20 PM

Hello,
I'm planning an upgrade for my Win 2003 standard system currently on AMD / Nforce3 hardware Raid 1 configuration. The new system is intel based I-7 930 x58 chipset. I'd like to migrate the drives and system to the new hardware. Would I need to break the array on the old machine using the bios control before using the drive in the new machine and recreating a new array with it's controler?
Any help appreciated. I was considering using the repair/install method of migrating the OS or possibly a disaster /recovery using my Novastor backup software. The only server function this system is used for on the network is a secondary WINS server.
October 1, 2010 10:04:15 PM

If you break the array with RAID 1 then I believe that you would be okay as long as you do not format them, with RAID 1 both drives are a copy of each other so no matter what drive you take it will be the same
m
l
October 2, 2010 1:13:27 AM

I'm not so sure the individual drives are each accessible as a boot drive when they are not accessed within their RAID 1 array.

I guess I'd be more conservative, and clone the OS to a third drive first . . . or at least try to access one of the array separately, perhaps as a non-boot drive in another PC, before destroying the contents of the either drive.

Acronis has a plug-in module for True Image Home 2011 that claims to enable your type of cross-platform migration.
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2010 11:43:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, after revaluating the new hardware I've decided to go with a different OS (64bit) to take advantage of more RAM. The issues with the older system that I was having may have been attributed to over heating problems; a new heatsink/fan seems to be doing the job at least for the last 24 hours. I may still try to port the array to a different platform at some point but the issue is less pressing now.
Thanks again for all your input
m
l
October 6, 2010 5:23:46 PM

There can be issues with porting arrays. My old machine at work had several RAID arrays, but when when I got a new system, it wouldn't boot with the old drives. I'm not sure exactly what the problem was (the IT department was handling it) but from what I understand, the new motherboard had a different RAID controller and they weren't cross-compatible. They ended up having to migrate the data to a third computer via cable, then pull the hard drive off of that and put it in the new system.
m
l
October 13, 2010 12:26:07 AM

To update my last post, still having issues. The machine at times (usually overnite) will become unresponsive. In the mornings I cannot get a video signal or keyboard response (although it is running;it is also unaccessable via the network) necessitating a manual reboot. After the reboot all is fine, although I am not an expert i cannot find anything significant in the event logs to determine what is happening. at this point I'm assuming a motherboard or CPU issue and not the drives since it is a Raid 1 (mirroring) configuration. It's almost like the machine is in a powersave mode and not coming out.
I did know that the controler on the new machine was different and would probably not aceept the array which is why I thought that breaking the array and migrating one drive to the new machine then rebuild the array on the new controler would work.
Accessing all the data on the old drives / machine isn't really the problem; I have many applications I would have liked to migrate over to the new hardware not having all the old set-up disks, patches, upgrades and softwarer key codes available that I've collected over the years on that particular machine.
Another suggestion someone had made was to set up a virtual machine on the new hardware and try to port/migrate the old system to a virtual environment.
m
l
!