Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$2500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2010 6:34:29 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: March-April 2011

Budget Range: $2000-$3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, listening to music, watching movies, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, cd/dvd drive, sound card

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Since I have to purchase this computer from a retailer in my province I am using this site: http://otvtech.com/catalogue.html?page=shop.browse (similar in price and selection to ncix.com so that could be used instead)

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Antec Case & PSU, nVidia Video Cards, ASUS motherboard, OCZ RAM & SSD

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Yes (SLI)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I have done upgrades to existing builds but have never done a build from scratch. A priority is for it to be quiet. I want a cool system in case I ever decided to upgrade certain parts to something more demanding. If it looked nice that would be great but if it looked bland that's not a problem. I require DDR3, SATA 6 Gb/s and USB 3.0 compatability. I would like an SSD for O/S (and a game or two if it can fit) and a HDD for the rest. I am not familiar with RAID and don't know if that would be useful.

What I Have So Far:
Case: Antec 1200 OR DF-85
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-850 OR Antec CP-1000
Motherboard: ATX Asus Rampage III Extreme LGA1366
CPU: Intel i7 950 1366 Quad Core 3.06 GHz
RAM: OCZ Gold PC12800 DDR3 6GB/Kit 1866MHz CL 10-10-10-28
Video Cards: Dual EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB PCI-E
SSD: OCZ OCZSSD2-1SLD SSD 2.5" Sata2 120GB
HDD: WD WD1002FAEX 1TB SATA 64MB Cache

I have done my best to check compatibility with those parts and it seems ok to me. I would appreciate any comments/suggestions. Thanks!

More about : 2500 gaming

October 1, 2010 6:44:34 PM

dont bother with SLIing off the start with your budge just get a 470 or 480 then.....that way you have upgrade room

unless u wanna goto ATI which u said u didnt then a 5970 if u wanted or a 5870....also if i remember right the socket 1156 i7 is actually cheaper so u can bring costs down that way
m
l
October 1, 2010 7:02:37 PM

Way too far away, do not even try and build one right now. Post again about 2 weeks before purchase
m
l
Related resources
October 1, 2010 7:32:35 PM

OCZ RAM has been really bad lately. OCZ Gold is the first model I started seeing complaints about and since then other OCZ models. Its not running at its rated specs which makes it a pain to get a decent overclock stable. I would get Gskill, Mushkin or Geil RAM instead.

Any parts you pick now might be a bad deal in March. Check back then.
m
l
October 2, 2010 4:09:22 AM

^6GB's of OCZ platinum Cas7/1600mhz running solid for 10months.
m
l

Best solution

October 2, 2010 1:06:11 PM

I think that you probably want to leave room for future upgrades on this system. Some things you can do to assure that possibility are to

- use a single more powerful GPU like the 470 or 480 and leave open the option to SLI and almost double the graphics capabilities in the future;

- use 4GB memory cards instead of 4GB leaving open the option to expand up to 24GB; if you use 2GB cards you'll be limiting yourself to a max of 12GB

- get faster and 'better' RAM so that overclocking will be easier ('platinum' instead of 'gold' e.g., or DDR3-2000 instead of 1866)

- get a 1250W PSU

- get a case that comes without fans and install the quietest and best fans you can get, adding more when your cooling need increases.

In addition:

For a system in this price range, you also probably want to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooling system to replace the one that comes with the i7-950. I know that you don't want to overclock, but (a) that opinion might change at some point in the future, and (b) you can keep your system cooler and quieter with an aftermarket solution.

If you wind up with $$$ left over, consider replacing the SSD you list with the 'revo drive (sp?)' from OCZ - it is a PCIe-based SSD that is bootable and is about twice as fast as the SATA drives.

Have fun!

-
October 2, 2010 2:41:32 PM

jeroly said:
I think that you probably want to leave room for future upgrades on this system. Some things you can do to assure that possibility are to

- use a single more powerful GPU like the 470 or 480 and leave open the option to SLI and almost double the graphics capabilities in the future;

- use 4GB memory cards instead of 4GB leaving open the option to expand up to 24GB; if you use 2GB cards you'll be limiting yourself to a max of 12GB

- get faster and 'better' RAM so that overclocking will be easier ('platinum' instead of 'gold' e.g., or DDR3-2000 instead of 1866)

- get a 1250W PSU

- get a case that comes without fans and install the quietest and best fans you can get, adding more when your cooling need increases.

In addition:

For a system in this price range, you also probably want to purchase an aftermarket CPU cooling system to replace the one that comes with the i7-950. I know that you don't want to overclock, but (a) that opinion might change at some point in the future, and (b) you can keep your system cooler and quieter with an aftermarket solution.

If you wind up with $$$ left over, consider replacing the SSD you list with the 'revo drive (sp?)' from OCZ - it is a PCIe-based SSD that is bootable and is about twice as fast as the SATA drives.

Have fun!

-

I agree!^+1

Only thing is, that high end cases usually already come with fans so you can just replace stock fans with other higher end fans to increase cooling. Although stock fans on high end cases are already quite good.
m
l
October 4, 2010 4:57:53 PM

Best answer selected by ander_funk.
m
l
October 4, 2010 4:58:51 PM

jeroly said:

- get a 1250W PSU

In addition:

Have fun!
-

This was really helpful. I will probably be taking all of your suggestions. Thanks a bunch! :) 
m
l
!