Is the addressing scheme in this SOHO accurate?

boblablabla

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Here is my Small Office Home Office (SOHO) that I made in Visio:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2rol69s.jpg

It's using standard linksys wireless N routeres. The office network router is connected to the modem and all of the computers for the office (wires in red) are connected to it. The home network connected and receiving internet frome the office network (to prevent the office network from being able to access it) and each of the home network computers (wires in yellow) are connected to it. Finally the home networks runs to a switch which is connected to two IP Surveillance cameras (wires in green) so anyone on the home network can watch the workers in the business network.

Is the setup and addressing scheme correct? Is there anything you would do different for security or just good networking practice reasons?

Please help!

Mystroth

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
Unfortunately i could not load your picture.

But essentially if router 1 is connect to the internet everything behind it should have an addressing scheme like 192.168.1.* and should you choose to have home computers, you add another router and connect it to the wan port and then change that LAN option to 192.168.2.*. Everything behind the router is not accessible from anything on the other side of the router provided you havent set it up that way (ie web server, ftp server, etc...)

Now the only problem is that you technically have a network contained inside another network. One way to change this is to put a switch after the modem and then plug each router into that switch obtaining 2 WAN IP addresses. This is technically the better practice of the 2 setups.

sturm

Splendid
One way to change this is to put a switch after the modem and then plug each router into that switch obtaining 2 WAN IP addresses. This is technically the better practice of the 2 setups.

Doing this would work but would require that you hard set the ips for the two routers that you plug in. The switch might take the one ip address the modem would hand out. Depends on if its a managed or mismanaged switch.

From the picture, your configuration is fine.