Dual Boot

Hi. I have 2 hard drives. C: is a 40 gb ntfs and has my default operating
system
Windowsxp Home Edition. D: is a 12 gb fat.
The other day I was unable to start windows caused by I believe third-
party software that I might have miss-configured. Anyway, when I
finally got back up and running I began considering installing xp on D: in
case this happens again. I have a few questions.
Is this a good thing to do??
Do I need to install my ant-virus and firewall software on that drive even
though
this software is on C:??
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
James
2 answers Last reply
More about dual boot

    James, if you install WinXP Home on D: you will still need to reinstall
    your antivirus software and any other software you are
    using. You could try a dual boot with the C: Drive connected. Start the
    install from C: and choose D: as the OS destination.
    or you can install XP on D: with C: disconnected and use the Bios as a
    bootloader. You can change the order boot devices
    there. So for example, you could have A, Cdrom, C and D or A, Cdrom,
    D and C or any combination of those four.
    "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    > Hi. I have 2 hard drives. C: is a 40 gb ntfs and has my default operating
    > system
    > Windowsxp Home Edition. D: is a 12 gb fat.
    > The other day I was unable to start windows caused by I believe third-
    > party software that I might have miss-configured. Anyway, when I
    > finally got back up and running I began considering installing xp on D: in
    > case this happens again. I have a few questions.
    > Is this a good thing to do??
    > Do I need to install my ant-virus and firewall software on that drive even
    > though
    > this software is on C:??
    > Any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > James

    Thanks much.
    James

    "Rich Barry" <rbarrynot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
    > James, if you install WinXP Home on D: you will still need to reinstall
    > your antivirus software and any other software you are
    > using. You could try a dual boot with the C: Drive connected. Start the
    > install from C: and choose D: as the OS destination.
    > or you can install XP on D: with C: disconnected and use the Bios as a
    > bootloader. You can change the order boot devices
    > there. So for example, you could have A, Cdrom, C and D or A, Cdrom,
    > D and C or any combination of those four.
    > "JamesJ" <jjy@adelphia_darwin.net> wrote in message
    >> Hi. I have 2 hard drives. C: is a 40 gb ntfs and has my default operating
    >> system
    >> Windowsxp Home Edition. D: is a 12 gb fat.
    >> The other day I was unable to start windows caused by I believe third-
    >> party software that I might have miss-configured. Anyway, when I
    >> finally got back up and running I began considering installing xp on D:
    >> in
    >> case this happens again. I have a few questions.
    >> Is this a good thing to do??
    >> Do I need to install my ant-virus and firewall software on that drive
    >> even though
    >> this software is on C:??
    >> Any help will be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> James

Configuration Dual Boot Software Windows XP