Sign in with
Your question

System reboots under heavy graphic load while playing Arma 2

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2010 8:52:04 AM

Hey. I recently built a new pc. Have been building my own for many years. So I'm sure its put together correctly.Recently I started playing a new game called ARMA 2 its pretty heavy on the graphics. So after playing for a few hours I get a random reboot no BSOD or anything just shuts right off on me. My system is as follows. Feels like PSU but for a new sys and a 1000 W i hope its driver or something. I cant return the PSU I dont think.

Thermaltake TR2 RX 1000W Modular PSU

i7 960
Asus P65e Deluxe
6 gig OCZ ram
EVGA gtx 470 x 1
2 x WD 500 gig SATA

win 7 ultimate 64 updated
dual monitor display

not the latest drivers for vid card. definitely not a cooling problem its freezing in the room i play in like 3-4 celsius I figure a 1000w should be enough for one 470. Have been playing Blackops for hours no problems. WOW no problems for marathon sessions. Seems to only happen with this new game Im playin.. Any suggestions
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 10:12:43 AM

Have you run Prime95, memtest and Furmark on your PC? The IC (i.e. CPU) are characterized from -40C to 125C with some even higher. The PSU should be generating enough heat from within. As long as there is no condensation inside the PC hardware and PSU it should be fine.

Record the last temp of the CPU and GPU just before it reset/reboot. The important thing is DIE temp not the outside temp. Part of the game may be driving the GPU to heat up in very short period. Similar to the STARTCRAFT GPU over heating issue. This is just an speculation.

Is there a specific segment of the game that it reboots?

Have you check for a patch on the ARMA 2 game? That is looking at it as software related bug.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 11:59:16 AM

Run memtest for 8hrs, always seems to be memory when it comes to random blue screens for me.

1000w for that system is plenty of juice, are you OC'ing anything?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2010 10:57:17 PM

1000w would be fine, except that the tt tr2 is trash (ok thats a little bit of a stretch to call it that, but its probably no more than a 850w psu...

but yeah, try testing the memory, and make sure before troubleshooting put everything youre overclocking (if applicable) back to stock speeds...
m
l
December 30, 2010 7:27:01 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I realize this PSU is junk now. But I'm still hoping that the 1000w can at least run my system until i can upgrade. I was running GPU-Z and had a crash happen. These are my last temps. I think I found the problem. I dont think 84 celsius is a good temp for my GPU to be reaching. This is a brand new system no OC done to it at all. What should I do?

Date 2010-12-30 04:13:59 ,
, GPU Core Clock [MHz] , 607.5 ,
GPU Memory Clock [MHz] 837.0 ,
GPU Shader Clock [MHz] 1215.0 ,
GPU Temperature [°C] 84.0 ,
PCB Temperature [°C] 57.0
GPU Temperature [°C 80.8 ,

m
l
December 30, 2010 7:34:57 AM

beanoslim said:
Run memtest for 8hrs, always seems to be memory when it comes to random blue screens for me.

1000w for that system is plenty of juice, are you OC'ing anything?

Also Im not receiving BSOD its just a straight up reboot. Also running dual displays. Going to try turning one off to see if this helps at all.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2010 7:46:50 AM

It would be so much more helpful if you could post the BSOD error codes.
m
l
December 30, 2010 9:12:00 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
It would be so much more helpful if you could post the BSOD error codes.

There is no BSODs. It just straight up reboots. Occured again with dual monitor unplugged.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2010 9:23:27 AM

First doubt for me would be the memory then it would be the PSU! Eliminate the memory from the equation and check for the PSU.
m
l
December 30, 2010 6:00:46 PM

Problem Im facing is I dont have an optical drive installed or an old floppy to use for memtest.... Is there anyway to use a usb drive to run memtest? Also how do I check the PSU? I used OCCT but it doesnt seem to test my PSU at all.
m
l
December 30, 2010 6:03:39 PM

leon2006 said:
Have you run Prime95, memtest and Furmark on your PC? The IC (i.e. CPU) are characterized from -40C to 125C with some even higher. The PSU should be generating enough heat from within. As long as there is no condensation inside the PC hardware and PSU it should be fine.

Record the last temp of the CPU and GPU just before it reset/reboot. The important thing is DIE temp not the outside temp. Part of the game may be driving the GPU to heat up in very short period. Similar to the STARTCRAFT GPU over heating issue. This is just an speculation.

Is there a specific segment of the game that it reboots?

Have you check for a patch on the ARMA 2 game? That is looking at it as software related bug.

Ive run furmark no problems.. I ran Prime 95 for 20 hrs with no errors. ARMA 2 is fully patched. Could this be a graphic driver problem? Or chipset or bios?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2010 8:30:43 PM

The one that says Auto installer for usb key.
http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Quote:
I used OCCT but it doesnt seem to test my PSU at all.

OCCT has a psu test, one of the options on the left, and a gpu test for some cards.
When you say you used it did you run a full 1 hr test and what temps did your cpu hit.

If it passes OCCT anf 20 hrs of P95 I doubt its the memory, but still try memtest.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2010 12:01:24 AM

they have a version of memtest that runs within windows...what do you need a usb stick for???
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:25:06 AM

Quote:
No one know how much they will put out because they burn out before getting there lol

Going to take out my PSU and replace it tomorrow. Hoping that solves the problem.

Ran OCCT for a couple hours with no problems..

Ive had about 6 of these random reboots at this point. Is this going to damage my system? How do I know if any damage has been done?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2010 5:34:51 AM

Quote:
Its your psu to be honest its junk. that models have huge voltage ripples. Its going to damage you mobo and gpu by overloading the caps. Replace it.

thats not entirely true..."huge" as in it doesnt matter they only have the issues at full load, which he is not approaching...you cant "overload" a capactiros...
m
l
December 31, 2010 6:32:55 AM

Clean driver install for video drivers. Same problem after running ARMA2 for a few hours. Replacing PSU tomorrow with corsair-ax850 gold series. Hoping this solves my problem. Still finding it hard to believe a brand new 1000 w thermaltake PSU is causing this problem. Crossing fingers.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 31, 2010 8:57:38 AM

JPFreeski said:
Clean driver install for video drivers. Same problem after running ARMA2 for a few hours. Replacing PSU tomorrow with corsair-ax850 gold series. Hoping this solves my problem. Still finding it hard to believe a brand new 1000 w thermaltake PSU is causing this problem. Crossing fingers.

Mate, you could run your system off a decent 500w psu.
Still the Corsair is a nice psu and will easily cover you should you go SLI.

I still find it hard to believe that a 1000w psu is that bad that it can't power a system that probably only draws about 450w. How old is the psu, any chance you will be able to get a refund?

Fact that its past everything else seems to put the cpu and mem in the clear, just leaves psu and gpu.
What about your hdd's, have you tested them with the WD software?
m
l
December 31, 2010 12:59:13 PM

beanoslim said:

I still find it hard to believe that a 1000w psu is that bad that it can't power a system that probably only draws about 450w. How old is the psu, any chance you will be able to get a refund?

Fact that its past everything else seems to put the cpu and mem in the clear, just leaves psu and gpu.

Hey.. What a helpful forum. Yes I believe its under warranty still. All the main components are about a month old. Got lucky that the place I bought it has extended coverage over the holidays. Im still perturbed that this TR2 1000 w is having these issues. No I have no tested my WD drives. Ive had them for ages and I highly doubt theyre at fault. Ill check when I get back with my new PSU. Had OCCT running for a couple hours. The GPU was at 91 and so I feel its not at fault either.
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:00:20 PM

beanoslim said:

Im planning on going SLI so I thought the corsair would be a better choice then this TR2 garbage. And yes I can get a refund. Thanks for the advice.
m
l
January 12, 2011 6:37:05 PM

After running for a couple weeks with no problems at all its safe to say that thermaltake makes garbage. Never buy a thermaltake power supply. My new corsair is amazing. Problem SOLVED thanks for the help everyone
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 8:45:38 PM

You live you learn. [:bohleyk:1]
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 9:49:51 PM

Where did you guys get your info on the TR2 from? JohnnyGuru has not reviewed one and his toughpower reviews are real good.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2011 11:52:44 PM

my bad experiences with the tr2.
the low price
having read reviews of it.
seen some dead ones cropping up on forums,etc, more than usual.
m
l
January 19, 2011 11:23:50 PM

Do you guys think I did any damage to my system from the 6 random crashes that occured? Or the fact that my gpu was underpowered as well as the rest of my machine???
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2011 11:26:44 PM

Hopefully not, try some stress testing for piece of mind, OCCT, Prime95, Memtest, 3DMark.
m
l
!