Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Vista won't reinstall in XPS 625

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2013 5:37:17 PM

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 625. I replaced the hard drive (with Samsung HD1032SJ), and am using the disks that came with the computer to reinstall the Vista operating system.

The process begins, then asks for the disk with the drivers. I put in the driver disk but the computer is not finding the drivers. It appears it is not even recognizing the new disk at all.

What could be happening, and what can I do to complete the install?

Thank you.

More about : vista reinstall xps 625

January 11, 2013 1:15:19 AM

Check your BIOS and make sure you have the autodetect turned on for the hard drive
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 1:25:50 AM

1. I'm guessing that you need to download the Sata controller drivers for your Dell XPS from Dell's website "YoMamaPA" haha.
m
l
January 11, 2013 10:22:34 AM

danny2000 said:
1. I'm guessing that you need to download the Sata controller drivers for your Dell XPS from Dell's website "YoMamaPA" haha.

Thank you. How do I do that? Can I do it from a different computer, put them on a portable drive, and use that during the install process?

I assumed all the drivers were on the driver disk provided by Dell, but are you saying I need drivers for the new hard drive?

As it is, the install process begins and I get a preliminary Vista screen. It just doesn't recognize the driver disk.

m
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 12:26:43 PM

Make sure your disks are clean and have no dust on them. Look for scratches and if you see some the disk may be unusable. You may be able to download and burn a new disk from Dell.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 6:50:21 PM

are you able to go int othe bios to see if it sees the new hard drive in there?
m
l
January 11, 2013 9:45:39 PM

danny2000 said:
are you able to go int othe bios to see if it sees the new hard drive in there?

Yes, I did that. I don't know much about all that information, but I did see the new hard drive.
m
l
January 11, 2013 10:17:53 PM

Was it seen as the primary hard drive (Master) and not a slave drive?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 12, 2013 12:29:12 PM

Use this page to get the latest drivers from dell:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/xp...

Download them and expand them to regular folders on a USB drive and try to use that. Does the install allow you to change drive letters when it asks for the drivers disk? If not you'll have to put them on a cd so it will be the same drive letter.
February 21, 2013 7:17:23 PM

Best answer selected by yomama.
m
l
!