$1000 gaming computer...advice appreciated

shawn32

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hi all...looking to replace a 5-yr old computer but don't keep real updated on what's the latest and greatest. I've built a few computers, but I'm no guru, so any advice you can spare I'd appreciate.

Right now, I'm leaning towards just purchasing the components in the "September Builder Marathon" - the $1k enthusiast PC. I don't need a case, power supply, or optical drive. Below is a reminder for what the components are:

Motherboard: Asus P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156, Intel P55 chipset
Processor: Intel Core i5-750
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master HyperTX 3
Memory: Crucial 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3-1333
Graphics: MSI GeForce GTX 470
Hard Drives: WD Caviar Black 640 GB

I'm wondering if anyone has any updated suggestions or changes to this build? I'm a little concerned with the RAM and thinking of going to 8 GB instead. I'm sure there's a few tweaks that people would recommend now that they saw this system tested?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, the Noctua has apparently been whipped:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-silver-arrow_6.html

but its still a great choice. However, if you're not pushing an overclock, no need to spend more money - the Hyper is much more than adequate.

I'd second Pizza's HD and RAM choices as faster and the right tweaks. 4 GB RAM doesn't sound like enough, right? 6 GB would satisfy, but its not a real option. So 8GB, yeah, probably.