[Motherboards] Mobo has power light but won't boot. Overvoltage?

katsuke

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi all,
A few days ago I just moved to Canada from Malaysia.
I brought my motherboard with its CPU and hard disk along with me, but decided to buy the rest of the parts here to avoid
spending cash on extra luggage fees.

These are my PC specs :
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard (From Malaysia)
- Pentium i7 core (Was on the motherboard)
- Corsair TX650 ATX 12v Single Rail 53A 24PIN ATX Power Supply
- MSI GeForce GTX 570

I've just re-assembled my PC, and when I plug in the AC cord, the motherboard's "clr CMOS" light turns on but there is a quick flash of Yellow and Green LEDS on the board. Checking the manual, I found out it was either the "NB Phase LED" or "DDR Phase LED" which were both Overvoltage LEDs.
And the PC just doesn't boot after that. The CPU fans don't even run.

I've done plenty of searches on google which led me to most topics in this forum, which is why I've created an account to seek help.

So far I've tried removing all the RAM, still doesn't boot.
Tried unplugging the SATA cable to the MOBO, still doesn't boot.
Tried removing all plugs for the CPU/Casing fans, still doesn't boot.
Tried removing pretty much most cables but just leaving the 24 pin and the ATX 12v cables, but still won't boot.

Could it be because my motherboard used to be running on a Malaysian Power supply, would a Canadian/US one make any difference just because the wall socket heads are different?

katsuke

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
While searching around, I found this topic by someone who had the exact same Motherboard and issue as mine.

http://www.tech-forums.net/pc/f77/new-pc-overvoltage-led-no-boot-occurs-233451/

However, it did not help.

Canada and the USA -standard household current 110/120 volt
Malaysia is 220 volt. You have possibly two issues.
1. Your power supply is self-switching (which most newer ones are) and is malfunctioning, or
2. You have a power supply with a switch on the back you need change from 220 to 110.

katsuke

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Hey guys, thanks for replying,

The PSU has no switch, according to the features it has a auto-switching circuitry that's universal, supporting from 90v to 264v.
I've tested with another PSU, an old one which only had 350w...and it came up with the same issue. Where the LED flashes and that's it.

According to some other friends, they suspect it was either damaged during the luggage transfer (but it was in its own box, wrapped in anti-static wrap and sponges.) or was short-circuited by static electricity when I was assembling it (but I didn't feel any.)

katsuke

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Bump for help.
I have purchased another motherboard, same model and all and I am still getting the same issue. That's quite a load of money there wasted, so I am definitely upset.

Right now I suspect it is my PSU's fault. But I don't know if it is because it is faulty.