Sign in with
Your question

How do you tell if the video card in your PC is going bad?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2010 4:33:45 PM

Hello,Every so often the screen/picture rolls on the monitor and the only way to stop it is dhut down and reboot, it happens any where from 1 time to several a day?

More about : video card bad

a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2010 4:35:55 PM

remove the video card and check with your existing igp.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 19, 2010 5:06:24 PM

That's assuming he has an integrated graphics port. If you don't, try to utilize another video card, or use monitoring software to check if your card is overheating or if the fan speed isn't right. MSI Afterburner is a good application to do this.

You can also try installing the latest drivers if you haven't already done so.
m
l
Related resources
August 21, 2010 1:42:06 AM

borisof007 said:
That's assuming he has an integrated graphics port. If you don't, try to utilize another video card, or use monitoring software to check if your card is overheating or if the fan speed isn't right. MSI Afterburner is a good application to do this.

You can also try installing the latest drivers if you haven't already done so.

I am a real novice here and have no idea where to begin...this problem with the rolling is so weird as sometimes it goes two days without doing it. The computer is 8 years old, we just installed a ! GB of memory, which after we did that we started to have the trouble with the rolling. I have been told it could be the monitor, but it is less than 3 years old. Where would I get the latest drivers...we have a HP Pavillion 533 (no letter after it). Would appreciate any help,
Thanks.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 1:44:12 AM

Remove the variable... see if removing the ram helps.

However it could be your video card or monitor or monitor card.

If you have any of those handy, (on board graphics, another graphics card, or a moniotr) let us know and we will tell you were to start.
m
l
August 21, 2010 1:52:55 AM

Thank you, will see about getting a monitor on loan.
On board graphics???what might I ask is this? We have been thinking about getting another card but just don't know where to start as far as that goes. Do you know of any sites that are reliable as far as purchasing them? Again thanks.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 2:07:07 AM

Don't get another monitor on loan on a hunch, only if you have an extra lying around.

And onboard graphics are the graphics directly (if you have it) on the motherboard,.
m
l
August 21, 2010 4:28:24 AM

What is ur MB model?i assume that urs doesnt have onboard graphics, so get a working video card from ur friend and plus into ur desktop, u will find out the ans :) 
m
l
August 21, 2010 2:01:57 PM

whatever came with the computer is what we have on the computer, 8 years ago everything was so different. Will try what you suggest and see what happens. Thank you for your help.
m
l
!