Gtx470 n 3 monitors...quick ?

now ive done google search and pretty much found out that i cannot get 3 monitors running at the same time despite having the 2 dvi and mini hdmi...

now i currently use a 23" main display and a 20" 2ndary display to my right
im VERY and i mean VERY interested in a 3rd display ....gives me room to work (design)

and so my ? is, if i get one of those dvi y splitters thingys, and i guess plug one into the one dvi and then plug the last dvi with a reg dvi.......can i get 3 running that way?

i dont care about 3 monitor gaming, its more for work and to be able to move things around...

can i get my 3 that way running AT THE SAME TIME?
12 answers Last reply
More about gtx470 monitors quick
  1. Nope, unless you get another Nvidia card for extended mode, switch to the HD5850/70, get dual GTX460s or a Matrox TripleHead2Go is not possible.
  2. go with a second 470 or with the ati 5xxx series
  3. so wait..im not questioning you guys just want to be sure......like, okay, my wife got a um..netbook and i plugged in a 17 incher for her and split it that way. i just turned on the 17incher, right clicked desktop and extended the desktop to the 17"er from the netbook.

so youre telling me that if i get 3 monitors and a Y dvi spliter, plug to to the spliter and the Y cable end to the VIDcard, and the other monitor thats left, plug it into the hdmi mini or the last dvi input, that it WONT work????

EDIT*** and also, that Matrox TripleHead2Go is kinda pricey..anything you can reccomend thats cheaper???

thanks gain fellas
  4. forget about the TripleHead2Go as it would cost you the same as adding a second 470, if you want to run 3 screens with an NV 4xx series card you need to buy 2 of them, the only single card solution for 3 screens is the ATI 5xxx series. Since you already stated that you do not play games I would opt for a single HD5770.
  5. lmao ahahahaahhaha lmao.

i JUST got this 470 because its about 2xs faster than the 5770. (the only reason)
    ok long story short, i bought the 5770 3 weeks ago for 195 from comp usa..loved the gard, good card...then my boi bought his 470 2 weeks ago for 350 or so, but wasnt good enough for his 3d needs so gave it to me for 200 and bought himself a ....some kind of 550$+ firepro......

so i now am selling the 5770 lol this week lol...my boy put up for sale just now (yesterday ) on ebay lol.

on the 5770 i was told the only was to get 3 going was to get an ACTIVE DISPLAY ADAPTER .......

man im wasting mad money
  6. somdow said:
    lmao ahahahaahhaha lmao.

i JUST got this 470 because its about 2xs faster than the 5770. (the only reason)
    ok long story short, i bought the 5770 3 weeks ago for 195 from comp usa..loved the gard, good card...then my boi bought his 470 2 weeks ago for 350 or so, but wasnt good enough for his 3d needs so gave it to me for 200 and bought himself a ....some kind of 550$+ firepro......

so i now am selling the 5770 lol this week lol...my boy put up for sale just now (yesterday ) on ebay lol.

on the 5770 i was told the only was to get 3 going was to get an ACTIVE DISPLAY ADAPTER .......

man im wasting mad money

You can also use a Displayport to VGA adapter, which are cheap.
  7. somdow said:
    lmao ahahahaahhaha lmao.

man im wasting mad money

next time do the proper research prior to purchasing ;)

the 470 is a very powerful card on its own but since you do not play games it is worthless, a 5770 will do just fine when it comes to using 3 screens. You don't need an "active" display adapter to run that 3rd screen, a passive adapter will work fine as long as you are running 1680x 1050 or lower.
  8. well yep lol

no no i DO game...not hardcore but ya, im getting there, was always into consoles and slowly moving to pc lol.

and ya i game at 1920 by 1080.

so with my current setup, and even when i had the 5770, i games on my main 23"er.

my goal is not to game on all 3 screens but to be able to move say, photoshop to one screen, internet on antoher and another whatever on the other....u know...workflow.

so with my current options....what can i do?

oh and to answer the ? above, my mobo only has one PCIe....
  9. If your only desire is for the video card to run additional screens, then this $40 PCI 8400GS should do the trick: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187041
  10. if you just want the 3rd screen for work purposes and you have an extra PCI-E slot on your mobo, just go grab a cheap low level card for 30-50 bucks and use that to power the 3rd monitor.
  11. With only one available GPU slot you will need a 5xxx series card as mentioned above. You can go ahead and buy the TripleHead2Go if you choose but I would rather spend that cash on a new board with a few more PCI-E slots then spend 300.00$ on the adapter alone.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DVI Monitors Graphics Product Displays