Gtx470 n 3 monitors...quick ?

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
now ive done google search and pretty much found out that i cannot get 3 monitors running at the same time despite having the 2 dvi and mini hdmi...

now i currently use a 23" main display and a 20" 2ndary display to my right
im VERY and i mean VERY interested in a 3rd display ....gives me room to work (design)

and so my ? is, if i get one of those dvi y splitters thingys, and i guess plug one into the one dvi and then plug the last dvi with a reg dvi.......can i get 3 running that way?

i dont care about 3 monitor gaming, its more for work and to be able to move things around...

can i get my 3 that way running AT THE SAME TIME?

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
so wait..im not questioning you guys just want to be sure......like, okay, my wife got a um..netbook and i plugged in a 17 incher for her and split it that way. i just turned on the 17incher, right clicked desktop and extended the desktop to the 17"er from the netbook.

so youre telling me that if i get 3 monitors and a Y dvi spliter, plug to to the spliter and the Y cable end to the VIDcard, and the other monitor thats left, plug it into the hdmi mini or the last dvi input, that it WONT work????

EDIT*** and also, that Matrox TripleHead2Go is kinda pricey..anything you can reccomend thats cheaper???

thanks gain fellas

forget about the TripleHead2Go as it would cost you the same as adding a second 470, if you want to run 3 screens with an NV 4xx series card you need to buy 2 of them, the only single card solution for 3 screens is the ATI 5xxx series. Since you already stated that you do not play games I would opt for a single HD5770.

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
lmao ahahahaahhaha lmao.

i JUST got this 470 because its about 2xs faster than the 5770. (the only reason)
ok long story short, i bought the 5770 3 weeks ago for 195 from comp usa..loved the gard, good card...then my boi bought his 470 2 weeks ago for 350 or so, but wasnt good enough for his 3d needs so gave it to me for 200 and bought himself a ....some kind of 550$+ firepro......

so i now am selling the 5770 lol this week lol...my boy put up for sale just now (yesterday ) on ebay lol.

on the 5770 i was told the only was to get 3 going was to get an ACTIVE DISPLAY ADAPTER .......

man im wasting mad money

alextheawesome

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009

You can also use a Displayport to VGA adapter, which are cheap.

next time do the proper research prior to purchasing ;)

the 470 is a very powerful card on its own but since you do not play games it is worthless, a 5770 will do just fine when it comes to using 3 screens. You don't need an "active" display adapter to run that 3rd screen, a passive adapter will work fine as long as you are running 1680x 1050 or lower.

somdow

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
well yep lol

no no i DO game...not hardcore but ya, im getting there, was always into consoles and slowly moving to pc lol.

and ya i game at 1920 by 1080.

so with my current setup, and even when i had the 5770, i games on my main 23"er.

my goal is not to game on all 3 screens but to be able to move say, photoshop to one screen, internet on antoher and another whatever on the other....u know...workflow.

so with my current options....what can i do?

oh and to answer the ? above, my mobo only has one PCIe....

With only one available GPU slot you will need a 5xxx series card as mentioned above. You can go ahead and buy the TripleHead2Go if you choose but I would rather spend that cash on a new board with a few more PCI-E slots then spend 300.00$ on the adapter alone.