Sign in with
Your question
Solved

H61 or H67 for i5K (overcklockable) ??

Last response: in Motherboards
August 25, 2011 10:19:40 AM

Hello everyone,
I am just about to put my computer together but I am confused now.
I want to use a H series Mobo coz I dont have enough money for a good video card right now but I need a working computer asap.
I want to go with a H series mobo first so I can add a nice video card later on.
But now I heard that the H61/67 is no good for a i5K cpu coz its no good for later overclocking... Is that true? If I want to overclock later do I need a P series mobo?
Whats my options here? Pls suggest and help me out.
Need a working pc with onboard but shoul be able to overclock my i5K later on...
many tnx in advance for your help...
best regards
Flo

Best solution

a c 75 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
August 25, 2011 5:26:33 PM

The H61, B65, Q65, H67, Q67 chipset will not allow you to overclock the core clock speed of our unlocked processors like the Intel Core i5-2500K. The P67 or Z68 will allow you to overclock the core clock speed of the unlocked processors. There is only one chipset that will allow you to overclock and use the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) and that is the Z68 (be careful on the board you select about half of Gigabyte’s Z68 boards don’t support the IGP).

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
August 26, 2011 10:04:36 AM

Tnx for your clear answer!
Since you know a lot about it, could you suggest me a specific model or make with the Z68 chipset which is good in you opinion?
tnx a lot again
Florian
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 75 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2011 5:57:58 PM

The Gigabyte GA-Z68Xp-UD3p, ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 and the Asus P8Z68-v Pro are all really nice and would work well for you.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
August 27, 2011 5:23:11 AM

Hi everyone,
and tnx for the suggestions! Its good to have a few model to choose from.
I´m living in the Philippines now and the range of models etc. here is quite limited. I will have a look in the stores around and will get back to you when I found one.
Im lucky there is a good forum like this!
tnx a lot

best regards
Florian
m
l
August 28, 2011 6:32:54 AM

Its really frustrating here in the Philippines, I checked some stores and local online shops but cant even find one of the above mentioned models....
And I doubt that Newegg will deliver to the Phils.... but will check on that.
If not I might have to change my plan... can´t even find a better graphics card then a GTX 460 1gb at the moment..... :cry: 

Flo
m
l
August 28, 2011 7:05:55 AM

Hi there. Have you checked stores in quezon city, greenhills and gilmore? Since you're from angeles (my assumption based on your username) i am not sure if you've checked stores in that area. It's been a while since i've lived in the philippines, but back then (early 2000) gilmore street and greenhills are the place to be when shopping for computer parts. Honestly, i'm not sure if it's changed though. Might be worth takin the trip. Good luck.
m
l
!