No Video output from PC. Monitor is OK

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Video
  • Monitors
Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2010 2:36:41 PM

No video output from Comp... Monitor still functioning
2 days back I found that when I turned my PC on the monitor went to power saver mode.
I assumed the cable was bad and replaced it and checked it. It did not help.

POST - 1 short beep (can be seen in d video) Phoenix bios I guess
I cant see the BIOS or Boot screen at all.... the monitor receives no input whatsoever
I connected my laptop to the monitor and confirmed that it is functioning properly. Hence the problem is not in the monitor

On booting I get a single short beep.
The keyboard and mouse receive power and I can hear the hard drive revving.
I have no idea what is wrong. Kindly do help...

My PC Config:
Intel Pent D Proc 820, 1GB, 160GB 7200RPM SATA HDD, no diskette drive, PCI/PCIe Tower (3x4), Intel GMA 3000, 48x32x48x16x CD-RW/DVD, 56K modem, Broadcom Gigabit Ether, DOS License

I have uploaded a video of the startup just in case it might help. One is a short video of the problem and the other video shows the insides as well. Here are the links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID5H8DpHtD0

Thanks in advance...

Indrajit

More about : video output monitor

December 29, 2010 3:46:04 PM

Are you sure the monitor works? Strange problem. Probably bad graphics card
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2010 4:22:29 PM

Is the monitor a lenovo also? If not then your computer is sending a signal to the monitor briefly, (as you see lenovo on it). It looks like it starts and then when windows kicks in to load it stops getting a signal. Update drivers lately? Can you press delete or F2 or whatever your brand needs to get into bios during startup? Try that. If you get into bios and can see them then it's most likely your drivers for the video chipset/card. You can probably buy a $10 or $15 card somewhere or borrow one from a friend to check it.
The single beep usually indicates that all hardware is functioning properly and then hands off to windows system for startup - which is where the drivers kick in/ or not.

Dude, watching that video makes me hungry :lol: 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 173 à CPUs
a b C Monitor
December 29, 2010 7:34:01 PM

It looks as if the PC is completing the POST successfully (single short beep).

The POST routines in the BIOS cannot test the whole video card. That's up to the Mark I eyeball. The POST routines can only test the video interface between the motherboard and the video card.

I'd test the video card in another system to make certain that the video card is the problem. If the video card tests good, it is time to resort to some serious troubleshooting.

Work systematically through our standard checklist and troubleshooting thread:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
I mean work through, not just read over it. We spent a lot of time on this. It should find most of the problems.

If not, continue.

I have tested the following beep patterns on Gigabyte, eVGA, and ECS motherboards. Other BIOS' may be different.

Breadboard - that will help isolate any kind of case problem you might have.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboardi...

Breadboard with just motherboard, CPU & HSF, case speaker, and PSU.

Make sure you plug the CPU power cable in. The system will not boot without it.

I always breadboard a new build. It takes only a few minutes, and you know you are putting good parts in the case once you are finished.

You can turn on the PC by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case power switch goes to. You should hear a series of long, single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence indicates a problem with (in most likely order) the PSU, motherboard, or CPU. Remember, at this time, you do not have a graphics card installed so the load on your PSU will be reduced.

If no beeps:
Running fans and drives and motherboard LED's do not necessarily indicate a good PSU. In the absence of a single short beep, they also do not indicate that the system is booting.

At this point, you can sort of check the PSU. Try to borrow a known good PSU of around 550 - 600 watts. That will power just about any system with a single GPU. If you cannot do that, use a DMM to measure the voltages. Measure between the colored wires and either chassis ground or the black wires. Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%.

The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch. CPU needs this signal to boot.

You can turn on the PSU by completely disconnecting the PSU and using a paperclip or jumper wire to short the green wire to one of the neighboring black wires.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4&feature=yout...

A way that might be easier is to use the main power plug. Working from the back of the plug where the wires come out, use a bare paperclip to short between the green wire and one of the neighboring black wires. That will do the same thing with an installed PSU. It is also an easy way to bypass a questionable case power switch.

This checks the PSU under no load conditions, so it is not completely reliable. But if it can not pass this, it is dead. Then repeat the checks with the PSU plugged into the computer to put a load on the PSU.

If the system beeps:
If it looks like the PSU is good, install a memory stick. Boot. Beep pattern should change to one long and several short beeps indicating a missing graphics card.

Silence, long single beeps, or series of short beeps indicate a problem with the memory. If you get short beeps verify that the memory is in the appropriate motherboard slots.

Insert the video card and connect any necessary PCIe power connectors. Boot. At this point, the system should POST successfully (a single short beep). Notice that you do not need keyboard, mouse, monitor, or drives to successfully POST.
At this point, if the system doesn't work, it's either the video card or an inadequate PSU. Or rarely - the motherboard's PCIe interface.

Now start connecting the rest of the devices starting with the monitor, then keyboard and mouse, then the rest of the devices, testing after each step. It's possible that you can pass the POST with a defective video card. The POST routines can only check the video interface. It cannot check the internal parts of the video card.
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:36:31 PM

I checked beep codes for phoenix bios - which is what is installed I am pretty sure... and there is no code for a single short beep - which is what I get in my comp as can be seen from the video

I am baffled. Also my CPU fan and other fans are running, hard drive is running, power supply to all components are ok...
I am yet to try the PSU test... I will ASAP and get back to you.

Is this a blown video card and if so how do I verify this?
My mobo has a on board video card and I have a PCi slot... so shud I replace my mobo or just use a card to solve this

Also thanks a million for taking your time and providing me with such a detailed answer...I appreciate it.
Happy New year!!
m
l
December 31, 2010 1:49:33 PM

No you got this wrong... there is absolutely no video output at all... i cant get into bios cuz i cant see anything.
I cant know if the boot sequence is happening either... also my bios is phoenix which has a 4 set beep codes... but on booting I get a single beep short... so I am confused as hell!

Thanks for any help possible

Happee New Year!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 31, 2010 3:08:47 PM

Single short beep normally means all hardware has passed the initial startup routine tests. I have several desktops running at the moment, (do building and repair on the side), and all of them give that one single beep when functioning correctly. As a test, pull out your memory and start your machine, maybe then you will get some different beeps. And I'm a little confused. You said "on board video card". That means you actually have a video card in a pcie slot right? Not a chip and the monitor plug comes off the motherboard itself? The Best way to test the video card issue is to borrow one from a friend or buy a cheap one and try it.. Replace the current video card and put it in the pcie slot and see if it works. It is a pcie slot and not a pci slot right? Only asking because you mentioned a pci slot and I want to make sure I'm not telling you to put the wrong card in.

PS if your fans and hdds and things spin up there is no need to do the psu test. That is a basic test just to see if it turns on.
m
l
January 1, 2011 5:11:40 AM

Its an integrated video I think... I dont have any additional video card on my PCIe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR5mQqHyhW4
sry for all the static in the video... yet to configure the mic...

What is wrong then? Also if it is the video problem is a new mobo the only option??
Or can I buy a video card and install that to get rid of the problem?

Also now I am getting a 1-1-1 beep... which is also not listed in phoenix bios beep codes... this is really pissing me off...
I guess I just have to call a technician... so be it! this is beyond me

Cheers and Thanks to all!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2011 2:42:59 PM

The long black slot is a pci-e slot. Buy a cheap video card and try it out. LIKE THIS ONE for $10 Dell ATI Radeon X300
m
l