How to test PCIe Gen 3 ??

map01ch

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I am so lost abt this pcie gen3 thing at this moment,

I have read the ASRock office site, and it says

"To run the PCI Express 3.0 slots in Gen 3 speed, please must install the Ivy Bridge CPU which supports PCI Express 3.0. If you install the Sandy Bridge CPU, the PCI Express 3.0 slots will run only at Gen2 speed"

I also read Gigabyte's news

"Wanting to provide maximum upgradeability to customers, GIGABYTE has enabled native support for PCI Express Gen. 3 across the entire range of GIGABYTE 6 series motherboards, including the recently launched G1.Sniper 2 motherboard, when paired with Intel's next generation 22nm CPUs. By installing the latest BIOS for their 6 series motherboards today, users can be assured they are ready to take advantage of all the performance enhancements tomorrow's technologies have to offer."

I read the news about Ivy Bridge launch date, which might be around Jan-mar 2012. So even I buy a gen 3 mobo now, I will have still to wait until next year, no?
Those mobo makers, keep claiming their board supports pcie gen3, but how?? pls pls tell me before I buy a new upgrade mobo to gen 3 version...

I dont want to buy a new board, and by the ends i need to spend more money on here and there to enjoy it.

ASRock & Gigabyte are advertising PCIe 3.0 ready motherboards.

You won’t see PCIe 3.0 speed/performance until you buy an Intel 22nm CPU and a PCIe 3.0 device (Video Graphics Card, RAID Controller Card, etc.) to plug into the PCIe 3.0 slot on the motherboard.

So you can buy either motherboard now if you want to but just realize that you’re going to have to buy 2 other PCIe 3.0 items that are not even for sale at this point in time.

map01ch

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

Thanks my friends, then I will have to save more money then, to get those 2 things......
Just wondering how they test it, I just called one of the shop close where I live, they said there is not any PCIe 3.0 device available in the market at all. How those mobo makers claim it is ready? LOL

PCIe3 components are already developed and being tested as we type. They just haven't been released to the public yet. The standards are fully finalized, so as long as the mainboard manufacturers adhere to those standards, the devices will work properly when they are finally released to us.