Suggestions for Core i5 760 Build Help

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hello Legands,

I'm Alluri - I'm in Australia
I am building a PC for the first time, and need your valuble assistance.
I have done my Masters in IT networking (MIT) - but have little knowledge in PC parts and custom building. ( Am i behind - i dont know )
I find this website packed with gud suggestions by people who have gud expertise and hoping u guys will help me out.

I am on a budget of 1100$ - $1300 and want to build Core i5-760 system.

I have some parts in mind but i'm sure you legands will have better ideas. so i have decided to take suggestions

We have MSY technologies here i usually buy parts from - below is the link for those who have some additional time to spare, to have a look
http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/msy.htm ( Parts they update everyday ) click on the PDF part list -

but if i dont have good parts there i am happy to browse around untill i find them here in Sydney -

The good thing to start is by letting u guyz know the reason for new build and what purpose - to kick start the process.

I wont be playing games on this PC:
mostly i do is software installs - uninstalls - testing -
Adobe photoshop CS4 - CS5 - multiple softwares bridging and communicating at the same time
Server OS installs ( Windows server 2003/2008 - linux Unix may be )
Web designing

Parts I have :

Monitor (22" BenQ FULL HD )
Logitech Desktop Wave keyboard
Logitech Performance mouse MX

As this is home PC - i will be playing music - movies - browsing - will may be install a good game after build just to check how they work - but wont be playing.

I hope this information helps for now
I do want to get some parts by tuesday - monday being public holiday
- thank you taking time to read.

- i5 760, stock cooler, Gigabyte p55 USB3, 2x2GB G.Skill 1333 DDR3 memory. Can't tell the memory model they offer, but its going to be 1333, CL9, from a good manufacturer, and its cost isn't out of line with the other offerings.

- If you can get the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive, otherwise a WD Black 640 or 1TB depending on your needs. I can't tell disk model from the pricelist.

- Case is a matter of personal choice mostly, but the four Coolermaster cases in the price list are worth you taking a look at . . . 2 HAF models, the Storm Scout, and the "other one". Very nice black brushed aluminum boxes from Lian-Li are a nice alternative style.

- psu is easy - Seasonic 520W s12-II

Take a look at those, see how much I spent, give it some thought and let's hear your reaction.

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Thank you kindly 'TwoBoxer' - i will look into it
roughly taking the case option out - we reached $650 so far

I have 1TB external Drive WD
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=754

Most of my work files and stuff is in there, i will connect that anyways to my PC -and it will pretty much stay there.

What do u think about going with SSD drives in my PC - doesnt have to be very large size drive -

Mother boards i can spend a lil more - a good performance ASUS (ASUS P7P55D-E Pro) what do u think ? or is this mo-bo just caught my eye being fancy and nice like that.

Also About Mo-bo's- will there be a lot of difference between them before i choose- just in case if i want to change to i7 later - if u know any parts which look good and better out side the list - would u mind pointing them out - i can get them from a different place -

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Thnx Timop,

Have some parts in Mind i prefer - unless if im wrong

Radeon grafix
ASUS Mo-Bo
SSD storage - (OCZ Agility or G.Skill)
RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws Series) - the ranges 1333/1600/----2500 - is it like higher the better - or am i wasting time coz its not a gaming PC.

and do i have to worry about Crossfire / SLI / upgrades / - never done that before (so im newbie to this).

not worried about windows OS yet - we can rule that out from 1300 budget - and may be spend on parts if that helps

Working backwards thru your Qs:

It gets confusing, but you can't tell what mobo you need by "i5" or "i7". There are 2 sockets used, and thus two types of mobos, 1156 for i5s (7xx) and i7s (8XX), and 1366 for i7 only (9xx). So let's talk a bit about your original cpu choice, the 760, by way of some examples:

For gaming (which you do not do) with no more than two video cards, a 760 platform is recommended. Gamers do not multi-task significantly, and games don't take advantage of more than 3 cores . . . so far . . . so no benefit in going to the 860 which adds hyperthreading (so 8 simultaneous threads). With more than two vid cards, the i7 930 is recommended because the platform architecture won't throttle 3 video cards. Otherwise, the 930 doesn't game enough better to justify +$200 or so for the mobo/cpu.

For users of extensively multithreaded and cpu bound applications, and/or heavy multi-taskers, the 860 or 930 might be recommended.

You "sound" like a 750 user, who might want to make sure he has enough, so might use the 860 instead, especially if your apps are multithreaded. The 930 sounds like more than you need, more heat than you want, and more than you should pay for that small increase in performance. So I think you have the right socket, 1156, for i5 750 or i7 860.

The mobo I gave you is very good, will OC fine if you choose. More expensive mobos will not add to your performance experience, but may facillitate pushing OCs.

SSDs are fun. The PC boots up quick and new apps start fast. They don't add to application performance, unless you have an app that thrashes the disk. Beware, once you use one for your OS, you won't be able to go back. OTOH, you won't miss it if you use a regular disk. I like to use 120GB SSDs, but 80GB allows some apps to be installed as well, while 60GB should be considered an OS drive . . . with whatever else you can stuff in there.

I'll stop there, so your eyes can unglaze, and wait for your reaction.

Timop

Distinguished

I swore you WANTED to game on this PC.
Sorry.

But Things to point out, I wouldn't want a SSD for you. What you're doing seems to rely on installing and reinstalling, which kills SSD performance pretty quick. Remember SSDs deteriorate after repeated read/writes. If you want speed, consider a RAID0 setup with Samsung F3s, pretty fast for the price.

On the RAM, Mushkin is an equally good company compared to Gskill, if not better. Since it appears youll be using CS5, 8GB will provide a silky experience, especially with multiple files open.

Ill revise my build.

For graphics, what is your screen's native resolution? You say Full HD, does that mean 1920x1080? Assuming yes . . .

For gaming, you'd want a GTX 460. But you can use far less vid card strength, and all those choices would be Radeon.

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Thnx both u guys Twoboxer and timpo,

oook eyes did glaze for a sec there - probably im guy who needs core i5 760 - did'nt notice a lot of diff between 760 and i7 860 on AnandTEch compare tool
- may be im wrong -
We will change it to i7 as roughly its 100 bucks more - if u think its worth as u know the purpose and if it doesnt compramise the rest of the build.

and Screen resolution is 1920*1080 ( Benq E2200HD )

App loading/ multitasking between many Adobe applications ( photoshop/bridge/dreamweaver) and so on.

Ya ! not a lot of games timpo, appreciate ur help
i heard good things about Mushkin so may be i'll go for it
one of our Desktop enginner suggested SSD drive - so thought abt it
wont be doing a lot of uninstall/re-installs though - but say

new applications i will install/re-install/un-install an average of 3 per week.

So overall !

im so far i5 760 (95% sure) unless otherwise

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Installations, softwares, NON gaming machine..... alluri, do you mind an AMD build? I think 6-core amd build with 1055T will suit you more. i5 750 is way too good I know, but its strengths are gaming and OC. For multi tasking, more the cores the better. You agree?

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
thought about that - AMD
but i prefer to go wid i5
m sure they are gud i agree
but more of intel FAN like - wud it make a lot of difference though ?

will upadte my list in couple of hours let me know what u think
too much thinking will always land me into troubles

alluri

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro Intel LGA1156 Platform / Intel P55 Express Chipset - $204
SAMSUNG Spin point F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - $69
1 Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760 - $229
1 GB ATI Radeon Chipset 5770 ASUS - $182 (Since I don’t play games on this PC – thought this would be fine )
2 X 2 Mushkin DDR3 1333 - $99
Coolermaster SGC2000 Storm Scout Case - $118

Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212+ Cooler - $35

Seasonic S12-II 520 W Power Supply - $99

Total - $1035

Open to any suggestions
Please let me know what you think of this build
Anything I can change and invest in something else like Win OS and if I’m missing any parts

Parts I have are:
Mouse / keyboard / Screen ( BenQ E2200 HD 1920 X 1080 )

Timop

Distinguished
Switch the Mobo to the P7P55D-E LX @142, you don't need crossfire/SLI.

The case maybe in the the RC-692 Advanced II @125, more elegant and quality case.

On the GPU, do do not need a 5770 for non gaming. a $90 Powercolor HD5570 would be fine.

Finally, You might want 8GB of RAM, its going to help out in your case,