2 2Gb DDR2 sticks at once won't work in Win 7

rafa79

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi there,

I've got a Gigabyte GA31M motherboard with a Pentium D 2.66Mhz, 1 stick of DDR2 2Gb of ram and am running on Windows 7 32bit. I've bought another 2Gb stick (same manufactor, same type, Kingston DDR2 800) I've heard from a tech guy that Win7 32bit won't take more than 3Gb of ram (Is this true?? Or could I use another 2Gb stick without any problems in Win7 32bit??).
So I've installed the 64bit version of Win7 and still got basically the same problems: first, some sort of conflict with my old 5.1 Live Soundblaster though I couldn't see any actual conflict on the Device Manager, then I usually get a blue screen. As soon as I remove one of the sticks though, all gets back to normal. I've tested both sticks, they work fine on their own, but only one at a time.
Whenever I put both the sticks together I get the afore mentioned problems.

What could this be?? Does anyone have any idea??

Thx in advance!

Solution
I would remove the sound card and put in both sticks and start up the computer. If still the same problem then try to determine if you have a bad mem slot on the motherboard. Put one stick in the first slot and then try the other one , then put one stick in the second slot and then the other stick. If you determine that both slots work then you might want to look at the Qualified Vendors List of that mother board and see what Gigagyte recomends. If in the end you get both sticks working then reload your sound card. By the way Win. 32 bit will always see less than 4 gb of ram, you need Win 64 bit to see all of your installed ram. Also 4 gb is the max alowed for that mother board so you are right at the limit and you may need a certian...
I would remove the sound card and put in both sticks and start up the computer. If still the same problem then try to determine if you have a bad mem slot on the motherboard. Put one stick in the first slot and then try the other one , then put one stick in the second slot and then the other stick. If you determine that both slots work then you might want to look at the Qualified Vendors List of that mother board and see what Gigagyte recomends. If in the end you get both sticks working then reload your sound card. By the way Win. 32 bit will always see less than 4 gb of ram, you need Win 64 bit to see all of your installed ram. Also 4 gb is the max alowed for that mother board so you are right at the limit and you may need a certian mem vendor to work.

Solution