Solved

What am I missing?

I have 3 drives; 1 SSD which is my Windows 7 boot drive; and have a 300GB WD Velociraptor SATA II that has my games because I had to RMA my Velociraptor 500GB SATA III drive. I just got it back and put it in. Why is Windows now showing it in "computer" tab yet in device manager it's there and says, "device working properly."
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what missing
  1. Best answer
    Because it needs to be initialized or formatted or both.

Control panel, administration tools, computer manager, disk manager. See if it shows in there.

You should get a popup saying this drive needs to be initialized. IF not, right click on the drive letter itself to initalize it or right click on the empty space and make a new partition.
  2. getochkn said:
    Because it needs to be initialized or formatted or both.

Control panel, administration tools, computer manager, disk manager. See if it shows in there.

You should get a popup saying this drive needs to be initialized. IF not, right click on the drive letter itself to initalize it or right click on the empty space and make a new partition.

Yes, it's there. Shows unallocated but online. If I right click it, a window pops up saying, New simple volume, sew striped volume, new spanned volume. (and of course, help and properties).

There is no drive letter next to it.
  3. Then make a new simple vloume and it will give the choices to format it, give it drive letter, etc.
  4. Ok. If I mess it up, I can always undo it?
  5. If it's a blank drive, there isn't much to mess up. lol. You're just making a new volume and formatting the drive. I assume it has to be empty if they sent you a new one.
  6. getochkn said:
    If it's a blank drive, there isn't much to mess up. lol. You're just making a new volume and formatting the drive. I assume it has to be empty if they sent you a new one.

Got it. Did, it. It works :) Thank you!
  7. Best answer selected by mikeny.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage