Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What am I missing?

Last response: in Storage
January 10, 2013 11:48:07 PM

I have 3 drives; 1 SSD which is my Windows 7 boot drive; and have a 300GB WD Velociraptor SATA II that has my games because I had to RMA my Velociraptor 500GB SATA III drive. I just got it back and put it in. Why is Windows now showing it in "computer" tab yet in device manager it's there and says, "device working properly."

More about : missing

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 10, 2013 11:51:04 PM

Because it needs to be initialized or formatted or both.

Control panel, administration tools, computer manager, disk manager. See if it shows in there.

You should get a popup saying this drive needs to be initialized. IF not, right click on the drive letter itself to initalize it or right click on the empty space and make a new partition.
January 11, 2013 2:17:42 AM

getochkn said:
Because it needs to be initialized or formatted or both.

Control panel, administration tools, computer manager, disk manager. See if it shows in there.

You should get a popup saying this drive needs to be initialized. IF not, right click on the drive letter itself to initalize it or right click on the empty space and make a new partition.

Yes, it's there. Shows unallocated but online. If I right click it, a window pops up saying, New simple volume, sew striped volume, new spanned volume. (and of course, help and properties).

There is no drive letter next to it.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 1:25:59 PM

Then make a new simple vloume and it will give the choices to format it, give it drive letter, etc.
m
l
January 11, 2013 4:10:20 PM

Ok. If I mess it up, I can always undo it?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 5:11:19 PM

If it's a blank drive, there isn't much to mess up. lol. You're just making a new volume and formatting the drive. I assume it has to be empty if they sent you a new one.
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:55:08 PM

getochkn said:
If it's a blank drive, there isn't much to mess up. lol. You're just making a new volume and formatting the drive. I assume it has to be empty if they sent you a new one.

Got it. Did, it. It works :)  Thank you!
m
l
January 24, 2013 2:55:32 PM

Best answer selected by mikeny.
m
l
!