Sign in with
Your question

XBox 360 system linked over 2 networks

Last response: in Networking
April 29, 2010 8:19:48 PM

So here's my dilemma:

I have 2 networks I'm setting up for some testing and I'm using an xbox 360 on the distant end of each network. The setup is as follows:

Xbox 360 -> Cisco 2950 Switch -> Cisco 3800 router -><- Cisco 3800 Router<- Cisco 2950 Switch<- Xbox 360.

The 360s will NOT system link together.

All my cabling is correct. My routing protocol used here is EIGRP. I know the network functions properly because I have a Cisco VoIP router connected to each switch (and properly configured) and I can make voip calls between the two. I can also disconnect the 360s, replace them with laptops (and assign the proper IP addresses) and I can ping from one laptop on one network to the other.

So all in all, my network functions properly. It's just that, the 360s will not system link.

I called Microshaft and they told me that xbox 360s cannot system link over anything more than 1 router (which i think is bullshit. the lady didn't sound like she had a single clue as to what I had set up). I can't ping the 360s, but 360s block pings so that's besides the point.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this that might steer me in the right direction?
April 29, 2010 10:29:25 PM

the only thing i can think of is making sure the entire network is part of the same subnet 10.10.10.* /24 and then each side is a derivitve of it, like /27 or /28.

Next ensure that any traffic bound for other IP address are forwarded out the router and into the other router. You may want to check to see if both xbox consoles can see each other while behind the same router.
m
l
April 30, 2010 10:31:34 PM

Mystroth said:
the only thing i can think of is making sure the entire network is part of the same subnet 10.10.10.* /24 and then each side is a derivitve of it, like /27 or /28.

Next ensure that any traffic bound for other IP address are forwarded out the router and into the other router. You may want to check to see if both xbox consoles can see each other while behind the same router.

I've double checked all of that. I even put the 2 xboxes on the same network going through a switch and they work fine. THis blows my mind if an xbox in fact cannot system link over more than 1 network, because really all these routers and switches are doing is forwarding packets of data. The amount of networks the xboxes have to go through should only attribute to lag, not the actual ability to pass data. If indeed Microsoft built the xbox to act like this, they need to fire their engineers.
m
l
!