Compare Olympus C-8080 to Coolpix 8800

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 6, 2005 11:50:31 PM

These cameras seem very similar - of course there is a difference in the
telephoto lens - the 8080 is 5X and the 8800 is 10X.

Are there other compelling reasons why one is better than the other?
Personally, I like the longer telephoto, and I don't care so much about the
better wide-angle of the Olympus, but I have had good luck with Olympus in
the past, and I have never owned a Nikon.

Aside from brand preference - can anyone point to superior features on
either side?

Thanks for any help with this.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 11:50:32 PM

FWIW, I have the Oly, and like it a lot. I like the fact it goes to
28mm, the optics are very good, images are very clean with very natural
color and good exposure. My only gripe with it is that the Olympus
software engineers clearly don't talk to users, and there are some
really dumb things about the menu system (most of which could be
addressed by a firmware update, but I won't hold my breath). Not so
much that it puts me off the camera, but compared to the Sony F828
which I also use, the Oly can be quite awkward to 'fiddle' with.

>From what I have read, the Nikon is a very good camera, but is
sometimes slow shot-to-shot (the Oly isn't bad, but the Sony is in a
class by itself on that score), so it maight not be the best choice if
you do a lot of kids/sport photography. The Nikon images appear
noisier than the Olympus, but that is probably all due to good
in-camera NR in the Oly, seeing it is the same CCD.

Try www.dpreview.com and www.imaging-resource.com, even if you only
read their conclusions.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 10:25:57 AM

Thanks for that comparison. It helps. You have the wide angle preference
where I like the telephoto. That sofware problem sounds like it would tax
my memory which is what I find happens when systems are less intuitive. You
have to remember more.

I have the Oly C-2100UZ - it's old now, but a hell of a good camera. I
would be happy with it forever, but now I need more mega pixels.

I guess the bottom line these days is that within a class the big names are
all very good cameras.

Yeah, dpreview has been a good source for me, and I will try the other one.

cheers.

!