Oct 2, 2010
Hey guys,

Let me start off by giving system specs:

Asus P6T7WS supercomputer motherboard
Intel Core i7 975 extreme
12 Gigs (6x2) Corsair DDR3 ram
2x Nvidia gtx295 in quad sli
2x hitachi ultrastar 15k300 harddrives

The machine is just over a year old and has been running fine since built. Now that thats out of the way, here's the backstory. I was up finishing part of a term paper, shut off the pc and went to sleep. The next day I tried turning on my pc but nothing happened. I shorted out the psu to see if that was the issue, but everything powered up fine. Next i decided to pull everything except one stick of ram. Still won't turn on. The motherboard is receiving power however as the red status led is on and the green power indicator is on below it. This mobo is equipped with the asus heartbeat led but that remains off. My psu is a Silverstone Strider ST1500. The led in the back is red which I know is a bad thing but I don't know the specifics about it. However as stated earlier, when it is shorted out (green, black) it will power the pc. The light remains red when shorted out as well. I do have everything plugged into a surge protector, but sometimes the PC will trip the circuit breaker in my dorm on startup because of the power draw, not sure if that is relevant or not.

I've really reached wits end with this one, I can't see what else may be wrong with it besides the CPU. I have however noticed some slight buildup on the top left edge of my CMOS battery it looks yellowish green. I have read that CMOS batteries can leak but, they won't prevent you from at least getting to POST. I'm open to any and all suggestions as I'd like to resolve this before midterms roll around in a few weeks.

Well, thanks a lot guys. I appreciate any thought or comments on the matter

-Obiwan

I had an Issue with a PSU when testing it shorted it would work fine. It turned out to be the power OK (+5 volt gray wire that was the problem). It looks like the PSU is gone but the stuff on your battery could have dripped out of a blown capacitor above it somewhere.