Seeking New Hard Drive!

zex_vex55

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I've had my current Hard Drive for a number of years, it came in a pre-built compter from Best Buy, so that alone speaks of the mediocrity of this hard drive. It's currently only 298 GB HD. I have a bit of a dilemna, I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a 120gb SSD and use both my current hard drive, and the ssd at the same time(if that's a possibility). Or if I should just buy a Western Digitial Caviar Black Series 1 TB Hard Drive and just use that alone. My spending limit would be about $150... any suggestions on a good route to take?

I mainly game, browse the internet, and listen to music.
Specs:
Biostar H61MGC Mobo
nvidia GTX 560
Intel i-5 2400

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
no, you dont connect them or anything, you can basically think of your Hard drive as a flash drive where you store everything, you dont need any drivers or settings, and it basically has nothing to do with windows. I personally put all my games on my spare, and my SSD holds my drivers, settings, small applications, and your version of Windows of course

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have a dilemma and a choice to make. SSD's are wonderfully fast, and VERY expensive per GB of storage. So you could buy a 120 GB SSD and use it with your 320 GB old HDD (yes, 320 GB will show up in Windows as 298 GB), for a total of 440 GB. Of that, 3/4 is old HDD that may fail.

OR, for similar money you could buy a 1TB fast WD Black, which will give you more than twice as much space even without using ANY of the old HDD unit. BUT although that drive would be faster than what you have been using, it will not be as speedy as the SSD. So, you have to choose whether you want space or speed for your money.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Like I said he should just get both, the Samsung 1TB f3 is a very nice drive, and for $65 it's a steal!