Sign in with
Your question

GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 - keeps on turning off and on

Last response: in Motherboards
August 25, 2011 4:00:55 PM

This is a new build. Installed all of the components. Turned on the machine, it ran for a few minutes, it turned off for a minute or so and turned back on. I checked all of the connections, no change, I removed all of the components, including the cpu and memory. Turned it on, same thing happened. I changed power supply, no change. I checked the power switches on the case, they were ok. I ordered a replacement motherboard, installed it, installed the cpu and memory. Same thing happens, runs for a while then turns off and turns back on, etc,etc.etc. The four LED lights on the motherboard light up red, orange (i think ) and two green. I'm using a i7 -2600 intel processor 3.4 ghz, crucial memory 32gb.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Thanks

More about : z68mx ud2h turning

August 29, 2011 1:02:15 AM

try two memory modules, not four.
m
l
August 31, 2011 1:23:00 PM

Hi,

I have the same issue with the system rebooting after a few minutes

My setup:
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Intel i5-2500K
4Gb RAM (2x2Gb)

I have swapped out most of the components and reset all of the BIOS settings. One thing I did notice is that if I remove the additional Gfx card, the reboot happens sooner. Not sure what that means but could be a memory issue as the onboard Gfx will use system memory.

FSMJR - Have you managed to get you system working yet?
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2011 3:32:22 PM

Sometimes when the IO or ich voltage to high or pci express lane set at a mhz that is too high will cause a shut down and then a restart but it reads it again and again in a loop even if you have a built in safty feature that restarts at stock voltages. If that is where your at then your gonna have to reset the cmos via a button some where on the mainboardm, not the computer reset button. I would not be able to say that your data is going to stay intact. So the choice if you want your data to be save is to Rma or just buy a new mainboard of the exact same make and model.
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:39:21 PM

the reason might be that those setting the ones I have listed above in the fist part of the paragraph I wrote are set too high from the factory as factory settings to better facilitate the overclocker and or for watercooling, phase changing purposes
m
l
September 19, 2011 3:47:32 PM

ya know Z68 from gigabyte appears to have come out early and it is in most respects,but remember in the big scheme of things that the lga2011 is slated for 1quarter 2012. In other words Gigabyte is one of the company's to bring their stuff to the table last and with that in mind they make sure that it is the fastest. Now it takes some aftermarket stuff like phase changing systems and watercooling to get it there. Kind of like when asus makes their blow out graphic card that is the fastest asus 580x2 only Gigabyte takes that idea and makes it a lifestyle of putting performance hardware into their mainboards and graphic cards things like products from Intersil.
m
l
December 11, 2011 8:55:23 PM

Hi Folks, I have the same MB - exact same problem: Soon as you turn it on, the phase LED's will glow, the CPU fan will turn and then the whole MB goes dead! Well after struggling with the exact same situation here is the FIX.

* It is NOT the CPU.
* It is NOT the MEMORY.
* It is NOT the PS.

It is the MB and the BIOS.

Follow these steps for the Fix:
1) Remove all SATA Connections.
2) Just keep one Memory stick. (Just so we can get the guy going)
3) Ensure that there are no loose conenctions.
4) Press and adjust the heatsink that is right next to the CPU.
5) Notice the dual BIOS on the MB - just press it on the MB.
6) Remove the CMOS battery and put it back.

Now start it back up. It should turn on. If it does not just drop the whole thing from about a feet. Crap... something on this MB is loose.

Go hit the del key soon as you can and get into the BIOS.
Notice that this stupid MB will default to F2 BIOS when your OC fails.. and all hell breaks loose.

I got mine working the exact same way I described. I am not an idiot. Honestly this board is a piece of crap. Once the fellow gets going - its an awesome board. Starting trouble..

m
l
January 5, 2012 12:32:37 AM

I'm having the same problem, system powers on for a second, fans go for a second with the phase LEDs glowing then it just restarts and goes in an infinite loop. What do you mean by pressing the dual bios on the mother board? I don't see anything there that looks like it can be pressed. Thanks for the help!

THWB said:
Hi Folks, I have the same MB - exact same problem: Soon as you turn it on, the phase LED's will glow, the CPU fan will turn and then the whole MB goes dead! Well after struggling with the exact same situation here is the FIX.

* It is NOT the CPU.
* It is NOT the MEMORY.
* It is NOT the PS.

It is the MB and the BIOS.

Follow these steps for the Fix:
1) Remove all SATA Connections.
2) Just keep one Memory stick. (Just so we can get the guy going)
3) Ensure that there are no loose conenctions.
4) Press and adjust the heatsink that is right next to the CPU.
5) Notice the dual BIOS on the MB - just press it on the MB.
6) Remove the CMOS battery and put it back.

Now start it back up. It should turn on. If it does not just drop the whole thing from about a feet. Crap... something on this MB is loose.

Go hit the del key soon as you can and get into the BIOS.
Notice that this stupid MB will default to F2 BIOS when your OC fails.. and all hell breaks loose.

I got mine working the exact same way I described. I am not an idiot. Honestly this board is a piece of crap. Once the fellow gets going - its an awesome board. Starting trouble..

m
l
January 6, 2012 2:11:57 AM

have a similar problem but its with the Z68XP-UD4 motherboard

Works fine and boots into W7 ok except if I go into the BIOS then on reboot it goes into a loop . Sometimes it will loop for about 7 times then finally it will post

also when I foolishly used the Gigabyte overclocking utility it froze the computer and had to do a manual shut off , ended up shorting the cmosand going into BIOS and selecting optimal settings and then after another loop it POSTED

now I stay away from doing anything related to the BIOS and have no problems but its a pretty poor effort from Google

edit : followed the guide on top and while the settings may be in different places I did find these

Disable full screen boot
Disabled USB Storege Function
CPU enhanced Halt ( CIE) - disabled
C3/C6 State support disabled - it says C2 C4 but dont have these in my bios
CPU EIST function disabled
Changed ACPI Suspend type to "S1(pos)" instead of S3

end story : I saved and rebooted and it worked first time :sol: 
m
l
January 6, 2013 6:19:51 AM

I have this problem it's because the 24 pin or 8 pin is not connected all the way. so if it happens just push in the power connectors some more switch off the psu turn it on press the power button your good to go all the leds should turn on.
m
l
!