Add a second 9800gtx, or replace with a newer card?

G

I'm looking to upgrade my video card. What I want to know is, given similar cost, should I get a second XFX brand Nvidia 9800gtx to take advantage of SLI, or should I replace the one I have with a newer card? Which would get better results?

Also, to make future questions easier, where does one go to find these answers one's self?

Are there any bottle necks in my system? I'm willing to add 4 more gigs of ram.

relevant specs:

Windows 7 (64 bit)
core2 duo 2.53 GHz
4 gigs of ram
XFX Nvidia 9800gtx

Thanks for your help.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Personally I prefer to stay out of SLI or Crossfire unless I really needed it, so I would always go for a new single GPU card, I am not sure how the two would perform versus a new single GPU card. Although, I think two 9800GTX should outperform or at least get very close to the fastest single GPU card out there now, and getting a second 9800GTX should be far cheaper.

Personally though (as I also am currently running a 9800GTX, XFX even) that card is still good enough to play all current games, unless you want DX11, so I don't really think its even worth bothering to upgrade. yet. Check out the hierarchy chart in THG's monthly best video card for the money and you will see why.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html