Windows 7: Steam will not install 'administrator has set policies to prevent ins

CrazyCarl

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hey guys,

Steam will not install due to the error message 'administrator has set policies to prevent this installation'
-I have disabled UAC
-Fixed registry issues with CCleaner
-My copy of Win 7 Home premium install is clean
-turned off windows firewall, then tried to re-install

I have trolled the internet for solutions, but I am seriously frustrated, so any help would be great!!!

CrazyCarl

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I have tried the 'Run as admisnistator' and it comes up with the same error message, unfortunately I beleive my comp has a problem with .msi files, because I cannot run Origin or Windows Live either, but I do not get the same error message from them, as I do with Steam

l0ckd0wn

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011

I know this isn't the most helpful, but when I begin to see issues with the way Windows installs applications and manages updates, I go back and do a fresh install from scratch. It's generally a way to guarantee not having problems like that going forward.

^^ Formats are nothing more then an admission of defeat.

From your description, it kinda sounds like your account doesn't have install privilages, which should be easy to change within the control panel while logged in as the admin. I'd check and see what permissions your account has before doing anything.

CrazyCarl

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
gamerk316- It may say newcomer on my info, but I am far from a noob when it comes to the basic interworkings of my PC. I have installed numerous games without any issues. I have been trolling the internet for WEEKS to find another solution to this problem other than re-installing my OS. I have checked my permissions, I am the admin, there are no other users besides me, so either it has to be a virus/malware or something up with a windows program. I am sorry if I sound frustrated, but I am.

Hawkeye22- I have SpySweeper and Malwarebytes. I have updated and run both, nothing comes up. Also I had a computer tech install the old OS, I have not had any other issues with any programs, until all these .msi files.