LED on multi card reader always stays lit

cruiser808

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I just bought an MSI Raptor case which has a multi card reader installed. There are two LEDs on the left side of the reader. The lower one flashes whenever a card is being read or written to, but the upper LED always stays lit, even when I have shut the system down. The USB connector from the card reader is the 5 pin type, with 4 pins in a row, the 5th being empty (VCC, D+, D-, GND). My ASUS motherboard only has 10 pin USB ports, so I connected the plug to a row of pins that had 4 in a row that matched the plug. Is that the correct way to do it, and is that upper LED supposed to stay lit all the time, even when the system is shut off? Thanks.

Solution
The lamp which stays lit is the "power" lamp, indicating that the device is receiving power. It's not unusual for the "power" lamp to stay lit on USB devices (or to flash on/off in the case of external hard drives) even though the host computer has been shut down. The power lamp on my flatbed scanner also does that, unless I switch off the PSU at the back of my PC like they used to make me do at computer classes (unnecessary in my opinion just for the sake of a few hours, but we had to do it anyway).

Do not regard it as a fault or problem, it's perfectly normal.
The lamp which stays lit is the "power" lamp, indicating that the device is receiving power. It's not unusual for the "power" lamp to stay lit on USB devices (or to flash on/off in the case of external hard drives) even though the host computer has been shut down. The power lamp on my flatbed scanner also does that, unless I switch off the PSU at the back of my PC like they used to make me do at computer classes (unnecessary in my opinion just for the sake of a few hours, but we had to do it anyway).

Do not regard it as a fault or problem, it's perfectly normal.

Solution

cruiser808

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Your scanner analogy makes sense to me, so I guess I won't worry about it. Just seems strange to have that light on when the system is off. Thanks.