Crucial M4 vs OCZ Vector 128gb

ozborne

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Hi All!

I need advice regarding regarding which SSD has the better price for performance value. The M4 goes for around $110 while the Vector goes for $140-150. Is the Vector really worth the extra $$$?

This would be used for my main rig where I do everything from gaming to programming and everything in between.

I would also like to know if any of you have had any bad experience regarding the firmware and/or controllers for these drives?

Bonus points for any thoughts on the Vertex 4 aswell :D

I appreciate any input from the community :)

Solution
Like foolycooly said, a larger Vertex 4 is the way to go. Not only do SSDs get faster as they get a larger capacity, but the difference between the Vector and the Vertex 4 isn't going to be huge.

Really what it comes down to is how they handle various TYPES of traffic. The Vertex 4 is faster on a few points than the Vector is, but the beautiful thing about the Vector is that it basically doesn't have a weak spot - it's more balanced than SSDs usually are.
There's a HUGE price disparity there.

Either go with a Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vector, Samsung 830, or OCZ Vertex 4, in that order.

Avoid the OCZ 3 series and the Samsung 840 non-pro. And ignore what mad-max was saying: OCZ used to produce meh SSDs... they've been learning fast and are now second on the market for speed and reliability, right behind Samsung.

EDIT: That being said, for price to performance, nothing beats the Vertex 4, as far as I know. Anything too much cheaper starts getting into unreliable (older) models of SSDs. The Crucial M4 is still a great drive, but it's beginning to show its age.

ozborne

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Basing on the replies I guess the real choice for me is really between the Vertex 4 or the Vector. The price difference is around $20-30, does the Vector justify that price difference? I've read that in some tests the Vertex 4 still has better performance (I could be wrong). Any thoughts on this? :)

redeemer

Distinguished
OCZ vector FTW!, Samsung released the 840 unfinished and it cause major problems. You guys need to relax past problems were due to Sandforce controllers, now the Vector uses a custom controller. Currently the Vertex 4 is a the top rated SSD, nothing wrong with OCZ!

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
The 128gb vertex 4 can be had for sub-$100 if you're willing to wait for a deal. It represents huge value in this price range, considering the differences in speed between it and the 840 pro/vector are negiligble in real world usage (imo).

Depending on how much you are willing to spend, I'd try to find a deal on a 256g Vertex 4. The additional capacity is going to be much more valuable than the marginal difference in speed you will see between the V4 and the vector/840 pro.

Like foolycooly said, a larger Vertex 4 is the way to go. Not only do SSDs get faster as they get a larger capacity, but the difference between the Vector and the Vertex 4 isn't going to be huge.

Really what it comes down to is how they handle various TYPES of traffic. The Vertex 4 is faster on a few points than the Vector is, but the beautiful thing about the Vector is that it basically doesn't have a weak spot - it's more balanced than SSDs usually are.

Solution