Upgrade this pre-built

NicholasJ

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hello Everyone, been lurking for a while but 1st time poster. I'm looking for some advice regarding the prebuilt system I recently purchased. I'm relatively new to PC gaming that is demanding on the hardware so I had a couple of questions.

I recently purchased this prebuilt IBUYPOWER desktop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227257

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T(2.8GHz)
ASUS M4A77TD
Processor Main Features: 64 bit Six-Core Processor
Cache Per Processor: 6 x 512KB L2 Cache
Memory: 4GB (2GB x 2) DDR3 1333 (Corsair Dominator)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATAII
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB

I use a LG E2350V 1080p display.

Here are my FFXIV benchmark results:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1 build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621) AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz ATI RADEON HD 5700 Series

LOW(1280x720)
Score: 3925
Load Time: 18432

HIGH(1920x1080)
Score: 2179
Load Time: 18666

What would be the best way to improve performance? I can run the game smoothly with toned down graphics in 1440x900 Windowed mode but I would like more. What type of upgrade would give me the most bang for my buck? Or would simply learning about overclocking help me a lot?

Also, there are currently 2 Corsair 2gb sticks of RAM part number CM3X2G1333C9NX 9-9-9-24. What memory is compatible if I wanted to add two more 2gb sticks? I've found similar model numbers, but nothing exact, and I wanted to make sure it would be compatible.

Thanks for taking the time to read and sorry for the barrage of questions. Look forward to hearing your responses. :)

-Nick

cmcghee358

Distinguished
1st of all. You dont need more RAM.

2nd of all you need a GPU upgrade. Unfortunately for you, its a 770 motherboard so you can't get a 2nd GPU, you have to buy a new one, and replace your old one.

I recommend an nVidia 460 1 GB or a Radeon 5850.

For future reference, even if you want to buy prebuilt, run it by us first please.

Timop

Distinguished
Yup, 4GB is perfectly adequate for gaming, as well as your CPU.

The weak link i your setup is that 5750, an upgrade would help out alot. You can get a GTX460 now, or wait a month for the new ATIs.

NicholasJ

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks for the response cmcghee358.

You're right in hindsight I wish I did, I'm kind of an impulse buyer and this was in my price range of what I was willing to spend. Not thinking how demanding the game actually was.

Is it feasible/possible to upgrade the motherboard and add a second gpu? Or just upgrade to one of your suggestions?

-Nick

NicholasJ

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Thanks Timop. That's good to know about the new ATI's in a month. I figured the 5750 was the weak point, looks like I will have to upgrade.

-Nick

Timop

Distinguished

Its is, but its not the best option.
A Crossfire Mobo is ~$80, while a 5750 is around $120. For $200 you get 5850 performance, which isn't a bad deal at all. However, if you do this, the next time you upgrade you'd have to dispose of both 5750s, and you get the little nits here and there with CF/SLI setups.

NicholasJ

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Solid advice. I'm learning so much in the past 15 minutes that now I really wish I came here before I purchased a new system!

cmcghee358

Distinguished
It's better just to buy a 460 or 5850 now.

Just so you know I bought an iBuypower about 18 months ago. Since I have literally replace everything. The only remaining component thats original is a 5400 RPM 500 GB HDD(which btw was the OS drive, YUCK 5400 RPM)

I too in hindsight wish I had built my own.

But since buying it like I've said I've rebuilt and cleaned it up nicely.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Nick, your trying to game, is that correct.? While gaming what else do you have going on as-in multi-tasking.?
I ask this because you have a wicked cpu, no knocking that. I love AMD and Phenom II's.
Your motherboard should have built-in overclocking options besides asking forums, refer to your manual (it really helps).
But if not multi-tasking then a quad core Phenom II would've sufficed.
You do have 2 more cores than a quad and I guess that's a good thing over-all.
64-bit OS and gaming with 4GB of RAM, yes good but I recommend 2GB more and run 6GB (3x2GB) in triple channel mode.
Next maybe add a SSD to your system, you have plenty of room and connections on your board.
your HD5750 is a push.. the 5770 would have been better for a packaged deal if spending that much in the first place.
Upgrading your card to the newer ATI line coming out soon or jump up to the 58xx or 59xx series now.
Just my opinions I hope you enjoy your rig no matter what you do.

AMD doesn't support triple channel.

Also the guy is looking for gaming performance, so an SSD is pointless.

In order for him to be content, he needs a 460 1 GB+ nVidia or a 58xx

A 5970 would be expensive, and overkill.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Actually, an "Ultimate Gamer" would be 480 in SLI.

And the cost:benefit ratio of SSDs for gaming, are so out of whack that it's not even considered a gaming upgrade.

At it's current price point SSD is really considered an add-on luxury to a standard gaming PC.

What he needs, to be happy, is a simple GPU upgrade and nothing else.