Coolermaster V8 vs Corsair H70 Watercooling?

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I am at a crossroad here. My local computer shop has the Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler and the Corsair Hydro H70 Water Cooler. I don't know which one to get. The Coolermaster V8 air-cooler is priced at $66 CDN and the H70 is priced at $119. From what I have heard, the V8 CPU Cooler is probably the best air cooler you can get on the market and even beats low-end water coolers in terms of cooling capability. On the other hand, I have read that the Corsair H70 is excellent for heat removal. Which one should I get? Don't just say "Corsair.. just cause"; I want a legitimate reason as to why you believe I should choose which product over the other.

Go for the V8, its got much better cooling capabilities and as long as your case has decent air flow it will keep your CPU cooler than the H70 will. The H50 and H70 and other similar small air coolers dont perform nearly as well as a big air cooler since they dont have the large amount of radiator space that a real liquid cooling system would.

http://www.frostytech.com/

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

Yeah - my case is pretty open, I have to say. Great airflow - not congested in terms of bunched up wires and whatnot. I guess the V8 would be my best bet.

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I own a Corsair H70, and I can tell you it definitively beats the NH-D14 inside a case. On an open bench, the Noctua NH-D14 performs better because there is a lot of colder air around, but in a case, the air becomes hotter faster, which is why the H70 performs better. Also, if you replace the stock fans with 2 Noctua NF-P14FLX, your temps will drop by 7-10°C compared to the stock ones (which are also quite noisy). You can presently have it at a very good price of 90$ at this site : http://www.ncixus.com/products/54728/CWCH70/Corsair/

As for the V8, I cannot say, because I've never owned a Cooler Master CPU cooler. There cases and fans are great, but I prefer the Noctua, Corsair or Thermaltake brand for my CPU coolers.

Also, the H70 is not a "real" CPU liquid cooling kit. It is designed to perform as well as the top air cooler, but if you compare it to a custom liquid cooled loop, there is a 20°C difference.

I hope this helped,
al360ex

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Both coolers you listed are rip off.

Consider "Prolimatech Megahalems/Megashadows" and "CoolerMaster Hyper 212 plus" instead. The megahalems is one of the top end coolers and hyper 212 plus is decent with very high cost-performance ratio.

The only advantages I could think of H70 are that it is good for not very well ventilated cases and puts minimal pressure on your MB.

GoldenI

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
The Hyper 212 Plus is very cheap in the local computer shop.. $30 or so. If there are only marginal advantages to choosing the V8 over the Hyper 212+, what's the point in spending an extra $30?

Thank-you.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
V8 has an external fan control and looks much fancier with its design and coating? That's why it is priced much higher. :)

Scythen Mugen II is also a very nice cooler which costs only $10 more than 212+ while performing much better than V8.