Upgrade CPU or GPU?

Should I upgrade my cpu or gpu first? My computer is a Compaq Presario. Everything is stock except the GPU, I upgraded it to a nVidia 7900 GS factory super overclocked. I am buying a new psu soon and then either a cpu or gpu but im not sure which one first. :??: Thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about upgrade
  1. Go for the GPU, even a low end modern one will be significantly better, and the motherboard likely has a very restricted set of CPUs that it will work with.
  2. And my CPU wont bottleneck the gpu? Im gonna have $210 after buying the psu so i want to buy a fairly nice gpu. But another question i have is if all the other components of my computer will be able to support a larger gpu. So, before i buy anything, should i buy a larger case? And if i should, could you recommend a fairly large one for a decent price?
  3. No idea about those question, which Compaq Presario in particular do you have? There is a wide range. If you are going to have that much after buying the new PSU you might want to look into doing a new build instead of upgrading an older system, it will cost slightly more but it will be more upgradable for the future.
  4. Okay, thanks for the advice anyways, maybe i will just start from scratch. But i'm not sure if ill have enough money to start COMPLETELY from scratch. As for what specific model of compaq, im not quite sure.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs GPUs Product