Sign in with
Your question

Failed build -- problem isolation

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2010 4:21:14 PM

I just finishing assembling a new system that isn't getting to first base. No beeps, nothing on the screen, but the fans are running, including the CPU fan, and LEDs on the motherboard are lighting up. The core components of the system are:

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO USB.3 motherboard
Phenom IIX4 965 CPU
4 sticks of Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A DDR3 for a total of 8G.

The LEDs on the motherboard are on, including the DRAM LED. There is a MEMOK button that if you push it will restart the boot process. The DRAM LED will blink for a bit and then stay on steadily. I think everything is connected properly. The only thing that might be iffy is the 8-pin power connector. The motherboard came with a plug in four of the pins and the power cable is split into 2 four-pin sections. I removed the plug and plugged all eight pins in. I don't know if that could cause a problem or not.

Any thoughts on isolating the failing component? The DRAM LED is suspicious. I am wondering if the MEMOK function might indicate that the processor is at least running. Anyone know?
October 2, 2010 4:33:16 PM

Does it even boot to post? You may have a DOA motherboard. Run it for a while and see if the CPU heatsink even gets warm, if it does then your ram could be bad. If not, take everything off the mobo except 1 stick of ram and see if it even posts and try this with each stick of ram to see if you have a bad one or not. Also, if you have an old stick that's compatible with it try that as well. If it doesn't post with any ram its most definitely a bad mobo, get it exchanged.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2010 4:40:37 PM

Found the problem -- user error. I didn't have a couple of the sticks pushed in far enough. They kind of clicked, but they could go farther. So now it's getting to the BIOS and all seems well. Thank God I'm stoopid. :pt1cable:  Next step will be to install the OS.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 2, 2010 4:42:47 PM

np, sometimes its simple things like that,, welcome to faultfinding man :) 
glad its sorted though,
Moto
m
l
!