Raid 5 terrible write speeds with ICH10R controller in windows 8

gingavitis

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello,
I have just created a RAID 5 array of 5 2TB Drives (Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS) Using the onboard ICH10R controller on my Asus p6x58d-e motherboard.
The write speed to the array is extremely low (~6MBps) and the read speed is also terrible (50 MBps).
As Far as I know this is not normal, I should be getting read/write speeds greater than that of the single drives (which used to write at ~80MBps by themselves). I have looked over other people's similar problems, but none of them helped me.
I am left wondering whether it is that my RAID controller is crappy, or perhaps a driver issue as I have just installed Windows 8, and the p6x58d-e has no official drivers for it...
Suggestions Please?

gingavitis

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
I tryed running the win7 driver it just says that the operating systems don't match. Oh also at the start of a file transfer, for the first 5 seconds or so it gets ~130 MBps before dropping. If that helps...

gingavitis

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

I Downloaded the new RAID driver that your link got me, the Intel Control Center told me that the Array was still only 30% Initialized, which would probably be what is causing the slow speeds.

I'll wait for it to finish and then try again, thanks very much for your help.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Why in the world ! That you want to use the fake RAID5 (software)
Get a SPM393 like i do and never look back
http://www.amazon.com/multiplier-hardware-RAID0-CLONE-Controller/dp/B004JPUZWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357949678&sr=8-1&keywords=SPM393

gingavitis

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

For the purposes of conversation lets just assume that computer hardware in New Zealand (Where I Live) is all imported and therefore more expensive than in America, and I don't have the money lying around, hmm?

PS-Matt

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

If it's still initializing, that is definitely why your performance is so low. Another thing to try is to enable write caching which will significantly improve the write performance. I'm not 100% sure how you do that on your motherboard, but I think it is done through the RAID software.

manunited

Honorable
Jun 2, 2013

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I'm having pretty much the exact same issue, though I have 4 2TB drives. I've updated drivers and BIOS.
Thanks.

shaidur

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
use strip size 32k and allocated block size 32k .i personally got 200MB/sec read and 170MB/sec write performance on my dell c1100 server with 4X500GB sata 7200 HDD in raid 5 formation on ich10r controller

Durell Lewis

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Few things...
a. write back cache? i asked about it before
b. in intel rst app make sure that you have no errors, the array is initialized etc...
c. your speeds are normal for array during rebuild, verification or initialization processes.

networklon

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I am struggling I also have an ICH10R raid controller and since upgrading from Windows 7 to windows 8 i no longer have a RAID array according to the OS. My raid is setup from bios, but nothing in Windows 8.

RST software doesnt work as not compatible. How do i get my raid to show in Windows 8?

Any assistance appreciated.

FireWire2

Distinguished

Go to MB manufacture, download the latest RAID drivers, or go to Intel find the latest RAID drivers from your ICH10R, to see would that help!

Next time, use drivers-less hardware raid like:
SPM393 - http://www.amazon.com/multiplier-hardware-RAID0-CLONE-Controller/dp/B004JPUZWU
SPM394 - http://www.amazon.com/Port-Multiplier-SATA-hardware-controller/dp/B004JPHAF0

then you can update OS anytime without worry about incompatible and data-lost

popatim

Titan
How about you read the devices descriptions. PORT MULTIPLIER is clearly written on both and a quick google search will reveal that intel stopped supporting PM as it conflicts with their RST.

As for not needing drivers... no duh! Its a port multiplier device.

Why anyone would spend a $100 on something like this to end up max'd at 250mb/s is beyond me when you can buy a real raid card for the same price and completely obliterate these specs. This device may have been useful 10 years ago but today.... not.

FireWire2

Distinguished
Not like you, I do not need to read those. I know the device, because I have used over 20's of them
Have you?
You are a cheapskate, trying to get 2x SPM394 as freebies, WTF?!

ry%3D400

Do you see my 40TB freeNAS with 20x 2TB HDDs connect to four SPM394
Each controls 5x drives and connects to a SATA port of SuperMicro board, total of four ports being used,

Where is the add card that you said it needs?

Talking about reading, have you read the page from the manufacture:
http://www.datoptic.com/ec/esata-hardware-raid-controller-spm394.html

SPM394 - Key Features
- 5x SATA drives as raid levels: 0 / 1 / 3 / 5 / 10 / JBoD / CLONE with eSATA connections
- Support SATA host with or without Port Multiplier ware
- LCD display for easy control and management
- Built-in high performance RAID storage processor, PROM and SRAM for RAID engines
- Supports Raid volume greater than 2.0 Tera Bytes drives
- Up to 3.0Gbps transfer rate (eSATA) with fast rebuilt Raid engine

Make sure you are knowing what you're talking about, research. Otherwise really shows the ignorance of yours

Talk is cheap. Show me a REAL RAID card that you are talking about,
when you can buy a real raid card for the same price

popatim

Titan
I'm afraid you are the one showing your ignorance and favoritism toward this product. Just go ahead and keep enjoying you slow y2k speeds.

Alas, please review your link again.
Hardware RAID5 SATA Port Multiplier Controller with LCD Module - SPM394
is mentioned at least twice in the description alone ....

Also, I asked for a reveiw unit so you could prove me wrong once and for all, which you graciously declined. I wouldn't keep it <shock> and give up my 840MB/s raid? LMAO!

And then trying to show off a build on a Supermicro server board with a built in LSI/c600 series controller... pathetic attempt to coverup or maybe fool unaware users. I did say Intel ICH does not support Port Multiplier.

Lastly your comment about no drivers really speaks to me. LOL - Its your PM device that doesn't need drivers... Windows loads the sata port drivers at bootup. <shakes head sadly>

FireWire2

Distinguished
And then trying to show off a build on a Supermicro server board with a built in LSI/c600 series controller... pathetic attempt to coverup or maybe fool unaware users. I did say Intel ICH does not support Port Multiplier.,

the image posted is the Supermicro server with LSI/c600?!!! What Dumb As!! You are beyond ignorance!!!

Where the hell is Supermicro server with LSI/c600 in form factor of miniITX?!!

The board is SuperMicro ITX Mobo X7SPA-O - where is LSI/C600
MB-X7SPA5_LG.JPG

I'm favor this controller? Yes I'm.
- It's cheap and effective for small business and home use
- Can just plug into ANY eSAT/SATA port and see my RAID
- No drivers, no incompatible to worry about
- Work with ANY OS: Openfiler, OpenSAMBA, FreeNAS, Windows, VMware, MAC OS, Unix, Linux, Red HAT...
- It's more 200MB/s transfer speed

Also, I asked for a reveiw unit so you could prove me wrong once and for all, which you graciously declined.
What drug are you using? or you are that retard?!! Why in the word I send you these controllers?!!! :pt1cable:

ZLoG

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

How is this issue going? I just build a HTPC with 5x3TB WD RED disks.. I get just fine performance the first few seconds of a transfer is this setup. Running windows 8 with software raid5.
The transfer-rate then drops to 13-18MB/sec. Quite stable - but slow. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this?
/Jim

FireWire2

Distinguished
Did you try the LATEST RAID drivers? Disable NCQ?
If the answer is yes... then there is pretty much nothing you can do - you got a lemon raid engine.

BTW you should not care about sequential read/write results, test the random read/write transfer rate

These numbers will tell whether you can stream BD.ISO or not... It needs about 8MB/s per BD stream

If you can not get 8MB/s in random mode, look at the Hardware RAID5 solution solution

popatim

Titan