Sign in with
Your question

My Sea gate Hard Disk of 500 GB is dropped from table where it was connected thr

Last response: in Storage
January 11, 2013 11:22:30 AM

My Sea gate Hard Disk of 500 GB is dropped from table where it was connected through usb converter with laptop. After that the HDD is not detectable in any mode. it voibrate and and some click noice come on connecting. plz help
January 11, 2013 12:14:47 PM

If you dropped it from a height, it is likely you have smashed the read heads into the magnetic platter, once this is done the drive has problems reading the data, in any case it may be dead because hard drives do not like shock because of the reason stated. Sorry but you may have to buy a replacement drive.
m
l
January 11, 2013 12:21:14 PM

I'm not a hardware genius by any means, But it sounds like it is now considered "damaged". If its still on warranty and there is no big scuffs or notable damage on it, you might be able to exchange for another. But that would be considered... How shall i say, shady?

One fell off my bed once in an enclosure, i tested it right away and it was ok. You get lucky and you don't. (i didn't put it there....the wife did....)

It wasn't as high as a table obviously. But know that when dropped 3-4 FT and it hits a hard surface its anyone's guess if its damaged. I would think if it cannot be detected anymore its toast.

I assume it was dropped in the raw form with no enclosure. If so, It will increase the odds of dmg and not working hence they are "supposed" to be inside a case typically.

m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 12:47:48 PM

It's dead. You can remove it from the enclosure and try to hook it up to a desktop PC motherboard. That way you may be able to recover your data. If that doesn't work you'll have to send it off to an expensive data recovery company if it's that important.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 11, 2013 1:11:06 PM

eyesaremirror said:
My Sea gate Hard Disk of 500 GB is dropped from table where it was connected through usb converter with laptop. After that the HDD is not detectable in any mode. it voibrate and and some click noice come on connecting. plz help

You sound surprised. HDDs are VERY shock sensitive. The platters are probably damaged beyond recovery since it was running when dropped however I suggest you get some quotes from some data recovery companies just for the shock value. Maybe that will give you cause to treat your equipment with the proper respect in the future. BTW, it seems we all learn the value of a backup plan the same way.
m
l
!