Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 20, 2010 2:31:29 AM

i recently installed my geforce gt 240 and now every so often (usually when watching a video) the screen will freeze up and get all blurry with little specks of color everywhere! i tried downloading new drivers and disabling my onboard video card, but when in the device manager the only tab under display adapters is the one for my geforce...(no intel express chipset etc.). i really dont want to send back my card because i am positive there is nothing wrong with it, so please help!

More about : graphics card problems

a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 8:55:19 AM

Isn't there any options in your BIOS to disable the on-board VGA ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 9:38:10 AM

Sounds like you're getting artifacts, it could be due to overheating or insufficient power. What power supply does your PC have, and more specifically what's the rating on the 12v rail (should be on a sticker on the side of the power supply).
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2010 2:50:18 PM

What card did you upgrade from?
Did the system do this with the old card?
What player are you using?
m
l
August 21, 2010 12:27:18 AM

@plastichairball: im 90% positive that this is not due to power supply issues, since the wattage of the card is 300, as is my computers power supply. upon further investigation, ive found the only times when this problem occurs is when watching a video in FULL SCREEN on my monitor.. could that have anything to do with it?
m
l
August 21, 2010 12:29:33 AM

Maziar said:
Isn't there any options in your BIOS to disable the on-board VGA ?

not that i could understand haha, i perused through my BIOS many times over and found nothing concerning internal/onboard VGA/ video card settings, could these settings be under a different more complicated title?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 21, 2010 6:41:31 AM

What's your motherboard model ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 21, 2010 9:14:56 AM

What's your PSU Brand and power? You may be meeting the power requirements, but a bad quality PSU could be the issue. Might I suggest you put up your complete specs?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 21, 2010 6:09:43 PM

Do a clean install of different drivers,for example for the first time,use the latest VGA driver,if it didn't help,try an older one.Here is how to perform a clean install
1_Download driver sweeper(from guru3d.com)
2_Go to control panel and uninstall the current driver from there
3_Reboot and go to safemode and open driver sweeper and click on Nvidia,then choose clean
4_Boot normally and Install the new driver
m
l
August 21, 2010 11:59:43 PM

Maziar said:
What's your motherboard model ?
im not too extremely savvy with computers so im really not sure what model my motherboard is.. but my specs are listed below if that helps :/ 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 7:14:09 AM

Yes i checked that, did you try doing a clean install of your VGA driver ?
m
l
August 22, 2010 3:13:42 PM

Maziar said:
Do a clean install of different drivers,for example for the first time,use the latest VGA driver,if it didn't help,try an older one.Here is how to perform a clean install
3_Reboot and go to safemode and open driver sweeper and click on Nvidia,then choose clean

When i try to download the sweeper it says "unable to execute file, this process requires elevation."
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 22, 2010 4:18:40 PM

Try running it as an administrator.(Right click,choose run as administrator)
m
l
August 23, 2010 12:00:36 AM

Maziar said:

should i install the new drivers straight from the nvidia website?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a c 169 U Graphics card
August 23, 2010 7:03:16 AM

rickjamesb69 said:
should i install the new drivers straight from the nvidia website?

Yes
m
l
August 29, 2010 5:57:35 PM

i performed the clean install and got no results, any other ideas?
m
l
!