Last response: in CPUs
December 30, 2010 2:38:05 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware forum!

Recently I bought a Pavillion 6633w-b. The specs are:

amd athlon ii 255 3.1 ghz

5gb ddr3

640gb hd

23 inch monitor

I couldn't find info on the box about the power supply (bought it at wal-mart, not on display) so when I got home I looked it up and found out it has a 250 watt power supply :( . I want to play Starcraft 2, Civ 5, and maybe WoW on the pc (which I don't think are too demanding), so I went out and bought a gt430 because it only required a 300 watt power supply. Well when I woke up today I had a change of heart and took the gt430 back. I picked up a 600w gs600 corsair and a radeon hd 5750.

So now my question to the forum is will these new additions fit into the pavillion 6633w-b? (I haven't opened anything yet, I figured I would ask first, but I'm dying to play with the new toy!) The dimensions on the psu are 150mm x 86mm x 160mm. I think I read that any ATX will fit but I'm just making sure. I don't know the dimensions on the 5750.

Also when I started out my intentions were not too add the power supply and the better video card, but now that I have, should I just start over with a different cpu or is the amd athlon ok for this machine? I got a deal on the computer, but I don't want to suffer performance because of the cpu and will switch it out if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

More about : upgrading pavillion 6600 gpu psu

a b à CPUs
December 30, 2010 12:17:52 PM

As long as the PSU is not some strange proprietary size for your hopefully normal 'midtower' case, you should be ok....
m
l