BFG going out of business?

poidragon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I recently tried to submit a request for an RMA, for a defective BFG GF 9800 GTX graphics card and was basically told by their CSR that the company will not offer or Honor any more RMA's for any of their products. Anyone have any idea what is going on with this company?

poidragon

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010

Original message from BFG Rep:

Erin K. Smith,

BFG Technologies, Inc. is winding down and liquidating its business.
Unfortunately our major supplier would not support our business. As a result we
are unable to setup or process any new RMAs for BFG products.

If you have an existing RMA, have already sent your product in, and have not
received a product back yet, please call our customer service department as soon
as possible at 866.234.3499, Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm CST.

If you have a technical support issue not involving an RMA, please email
support@bfgfixx.com instead.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank You,
BFG RMA Department

So what do their customers do now? or are we SoL?

drums101

Distinguished
I dont think they are going out of business but I know they said that they were done with graphics cards a couple of months ago. My cousin used to work for BFG in their RMA department, got me some sicks deals on cards but now if they blow im outta luck, if they are not in the gpu market they most likely wont be honoring RMAs once their stock goes

Published four days ago.
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25943

rma-denial.jpg

Northwolfe

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
nVidia and ATI should screen their partners more carefully. About two years ago I was undecided between BFG GTX2xx and XFX GTX2xx, fortunately I decided for the latter - even though BFG offered a superior warranty.

No use crying over spilled milk, I do think that nVidia and ATI should continue to give some support for the cards BFG sold. Even if they (one of their partners) have to charge a reasonable fee for said support. At least BFG clients wouldn't loose everything...

This all goes to show how right I am in dissing those apparently magnificent warranties that some partners, both of nVidia and ATI, like to brag about. We've seen this in the past and will, no doubt, see it in the future. As for Limited Lifetime Warranties(?), they are just that - LIMITED. The Lifetime part refers to the number of years that the company will survive, not for how long your card will...

They also have a rather bad habit of only offering these warranties to the North American market which is nice if you happen to live in North America but I don't, so I have no sympathy for them when it all goes tit's up.

Well... there's reasons for that. For one, it's easier to manage a lifetime warranty when the customer is in the country your based out of. But more importantly, lifetime warranty is actually "illegal" in Europe. The maximum warranty you can give a product in the EU is 10 years. This is why you see a lot of the memory products out there that typically have lifetime warranty only have a 10 year warranty in Europe. It may be true in other countries/continents.

And the question I would ask is "why is that?", is possibly because the term "lifetime" is a bit dubious in that do they mean the product, the company or the customer. :lol: And are you the Johnyguru or do you just like the name? :heink:

I don't know why that is, but it just may be that the term "lifetime" is too dubious and to eliminate any question as to what lifetime actually means, the EU makes it simply and requires a term, up to ten years, on any warraty.

And I like the name jonnyGURU.. don't you? At least I can spell it correctly. ;)