Sabertooth 990fx can\'t get a dvd to boot... why?

hockey97

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi, I just built a computer for my dad which uses the ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX motherboard.

I have it all put together and now trying to format the new hard drive to install windows 7 on it.

problem is that I keep seeing a error message on my computer screen saying no boot device found.

I tried with windows 7 cd and then tried to use a ubuntu 9.0 dvd boot rom. Which I know is a good cd. It works in other computers. so tried that and notice it took time to read the cd and eventually went to a no boot device found.

I need help on what I can try to do to fix this problem.

the led by the ram is red but it goes off... when you turn on the computer it beeps once and then I can see the led by the ram rack light up red for about 20 to 30 seconds and then go off. Would this mean that the ram is the issue? I the motherboard book is says that errors will be in red led light and will be constantly on.

it even says if the led is red for the ram it means the ram isn't compatibly but you need to press a button on the board to make it compatible.

I can get into bios but can't boot anything from dvd-rom. I plugged the dvd-rom in the same area where I plugged the hard drive. Both uses 6 gigs sata.

any ideas on how to get my cd's to boot?

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
It could be a bad SATA port or a bad cable, try to move your SATA connection around and see if that is the case. double check all your connections. If none of your SATA connections work for the drive, i would say that your ram could be the issue. Re-read the sabertooth manual and try to find that button on the MoBo. Also, it could be a defective drive. Have you tried the drive on any other computers?

What is the brand and model number of the DVD-ROM drive?

Is the DVD-ROM drive listed in the UEFI BIOS Utility setup?

ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility - Advanced Mode --> Advanced --> SATA Configuration

You should see your DVD-ROM drive listed beside the port number that you have the drive plugged into. If it shows Not Present for that port then your DVD-ROM drive or SATA data cable is defective. Retry with a known working SATA CD/DVD drive.

hockey97

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Nevermind guys, The dvd is listed in bios but just can't read any cd or dvd. it's a dvd-light dual layer dvd player etc.

I returned that and a seagate hard drive. The hard drive wasn't visible at all in bios and the dvd-rom was but never could read anything.

So, I returned them. Shipped them back. Supposed to get replacements. I also contacted tech support and they told me they are defective.

So, it's been 2 weeks since I sent it and still waiting for the replacements.