9400GT; is it overheating?

tomshotzzzz

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
So I just installed a "512MB GeForce 9400 GT (BFG Tech)" graphics card. And I am using a program called "Speccy" by Piriform to record the temperature. On idle, it is about 80 Degree celcius, and gaming, it can go to the 100's. I have a Power Supply of around 240W, do you think that is the problem? Also, I don't have a cover on, because I just installed it. In games like Sc2, A.V.A, L4D, it gets laggy after a few minutes - like 9FPS, then it goes back to normal later.

Will it help if I underclock it? Is it a tolerable heat for it to be in? Will it "burn up/explode" if it doesn't get solved or something? And will it lose deficiency earlier; because I want to keep this card for around 1-2 years... I don't care it if sucks later.

Please help! Thank you. :bounce:

First, 9400GT is not a gaming card...

Second, is your card single slot (including fan)?

Third, you can damaged your card if you still continue this overheating...

You can get a not too expensive gaming card like GT240 or HD5670 without changing your current PSU.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Good cooling is all about airflow, so getting an idea of where air is coming in and its path back out again is crucial to understanding where "heat pockets" may be building up inside your PC...

close the cover of your pc and allow the air to flow in and out, without it "hanging" in your pc.... take a looke at this brilliant illustration once your pc cover is closed!!

http://www.custompcbuild.com/image-files/case_airflow.jpg

remember there shouldn't be anything blocking this air flow, infront or at the back of the pc airflow fans and openings!!

just my thought

Dane

tomshotzzzz

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Alright, so I want to rebump this topic because of a few things:

I recently downloaded and played a game called: Savage 2, and when I play, sometimes it suddenly slows down. I got into 'Speccy' and it records over 100 Degrees Celcius!
When I turn it off, it goes back to the 80's in about 5 minutes. I test it out with other games (like Sc2, A.V.A, etc) and it does the same thing.

I want to add some information:
I have a Slim Line computer - it is quite small... Acer Aspire X3810.
Even without my cover on, it is around the same temperature.

I think the problem is that the fan is facing up, and upwards is a wall/cover. Will it be fixed if I just drill the top open? Or is it my Power Supply that is causing it - 220-240W?

G

Ahhh, I see well the thing about these Acer computers is, A lot of them dont have case fans and if you have a gaming pc you need atleast 1 120mmx120mm fan thats why most gaming cases come with them.

tomshotzzzz

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Well, what is weird is, somehow it goes to 120 gaming where it used to go at max 100. And while idle it is now 80's where is used to be 60's.
The computer is making some very weird sounds, where when I first got it, it was normal.

I only had this for a month, do you think the temperature increase is due to dust?

tomshotzzzz

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Alright, so I removed all the dust. And it still did not help. On idle, it still goes to higher temperatures. When I turn it on, and leave it on... The temperature crawls up to around 110 degrees! (On IDLE - leaving to for around 2-3 hours)

I figured out a temporary solution, which is leaving it out... with a large fan blowing huge wind at it, but it doesn't work that great if it is not cold out... and the fan uses lots of energy.

Question:
1) If I get a GT240 or HD5670, will the temperature skyrocket like my 9400GT? Doesn't it use more power than a 9400GT?

2)Are there any slim-line GT240 or HD5670's? Or do they come in a slim-line thingy...

EDIT: Okay... I searched up HD5670... and it is a VERY powerful card - and requires a lot more than a 9400GT. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a HD5670 without changing my PSU (which is like 220-240).
A GT240 requires the SAME energy as my 9400GT. Won't it do the exact same thing?

tomshotzzzz

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
The only time is stays low, is when the temperature outside is very cold, and I leave the furnace to 10 Degrees. Right now, its about 105 Degrees Celsius.

If I cut the top of the case off, will it help?

colonel vanik

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
considering the fact that the 9400gt is not a gaming card . have u tested on some other pc?
i think the card may be faulty cuz that card doesnt uses a lot of power and also does not do super things it shouldn't over heat like this .
suggestion , hope it helps

tomshotzzzz

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
This is actually the best computer in my house right now... The rest are just a little bit worse than mine. Plus, the other computers aren't mine and I can't touch them. Probably my card is faulty... it was acceptable temperatures (60-70 idle 80-90 gaming) then it spiked to these horribly high temperatures (crawls up to 100 idle and sometimes up to 120 idle/gaming).