(ADVICE NEEDED) NEW DESKTOP BUILD

Corticarte

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hi All,

I am going to build my first computer from scratch, I have compiled a list of components But need to know if you guys think its going to run ALL the games on High end graphics! So here its up...

Games that I will want to run on Highest Graphics include Gunz the Duel, World Of warcraft, Age of empires 3, Settlers 7 and maybe the final fantasy online... there is also some other Crysis game with the natural mod on which looks cool too so i want everything to run smoothly without any lag and stuff.... My screen is not FULL HD unfortunately its just 720P/1080I?

CPU: Intel Core I5-760 (£134.27)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P7P55D LE (£73.62)
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws DDR3 PC12800-1600MHZ 4GB (£68.93)
HDD: Samsung 1TB F3 SataII300HDD 32mbcache 7200rpm oem (£37.99)
GPU Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC PCI-E HDMI DVI (£155.00)
PSU: PCZ ModXStream Pro 600W (£55.31)
DRIVE: Sony DVD RW 24X Sata black (£12.77)
CASE: CiT Saturn Gaming Case Blu LED (£23.33)
MONITOR: LG 22" W2246S-BF Monitor Black Widescreen 2ms DVI (£95.31)
TOTAL: £771.42
(THIS QUOTE WAS FROM MICRODIRECT.CO.UK)

Should I think about upgrading any part there???? THis is being purchased tommorow so please please give advice

thank you so so much!

Good balanced set of parts.

I don't like the case. There is not enough cooling ; you want at least two 120mm intake fans or two 120mm output fans. 80mm fans are noisy and worthness. Side fans are not that helpful either. I think you can do much better.

Corticarte

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Okay then so I have been told by a friend that I should upgrade my MOBO to an SLI compatible one along with the GTX 460 is becoming a low->mid range GPU and should get a better one if i want it to last 1-2 years. Would i see much difference between a GTX 460 and a GTX 470? Or even a RAdeon what are they like?

Regarding the case, I am looking for a case with 120mm fans i will have a look at microdirect website for some.

GTX460 in sli scales well, and is a bit stronger than a GTX480.
But, there will be extra up front costs associated with a sli capable motherboard, a stronger psu, and perhaps a case with sufficient cooling to handle two video cards.

GTX460, particularly the 1gb model should play most games very well at 1920 resolution.

I might be inclined to pay a bit more for a factory overclocked card, particularly one that has dual slot direct exhaust cooling like this evga unit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568

I like the direct exhaust coolers because they get the heat directly out of the case instead of dumping it back into the case where case cooling has to deal with it.
Hotter air in the case causes higher temperatures for both the gpu AND the cpu.

As to planning for a video upgrade, there will be faster, and better cards in the future. I would plan on selling the GTX460 then and replacing it with the next best thing.

GTX470 is a bit more capable, something like a 5850 or 5870, depending on the game. They are close enough in capability that you would not notice much difference if you changed from a GTX460 to any one of them.

You might want to read this article and see where you want to be. The graphics card will be the most important factor in gaming performance at your resolution:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gts-450-radeon-hd-4850-gpu,2732.html

akashic

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

That's a good unit but overpriced when compared to XFX 650W XXX Edition Single Rail Modular PSU•Single, high power +12V rail (up to 52A/624W/4 pci-e.-£69.99inc. vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/191826
Plus there's nothing wrong with the unit he chose it will be fine.

akashic

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

right, well as i said i wasn't sure how that 12v1 and 12v2 rail worked, if they don't stack up i could be a problem, yeah i do agree it is a bit pricy on that site he is using, it is the cheapest 500w+ preformance PSU in Denmark at the moment, i would propbly go with the one you suggested even though both should be fine for heavy overclocking it is better to be safe and get more power IF it they are both sold for the same price :)

Corticarte

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
OK guys well i have just spent a fortune at that store...But here goes I will tell you what I got in the end.

Core I5-760
Intel DP55WG Motherboard
Gigabyte GTX 460
OCZ Modxstream-Pro 700W PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1GB
4GB Ripjaws gaming ram.
random sony DVD drive.
Inwin gamin case full atx.

and the 22" monitor along with somee random speakers =p

So my friend is coming around tonight to set it all up!

Just 1 thing I forgot.... WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM!!!! =O

TRENDING THREADS