Closed Solved

GTX 460 or ATI 5770?

Hey, all,

I posted once before when trying to choose between a couple of different 5770 cards, but I recently started looking at the Nvidia side of things and was thinking about that it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw a bit more money in to a card.

I currently have a system with a Phenom II 955, MSI 790 mobo, OCZ RAM (2x2gb), and 750w Antec TP power supply. Also, I have a 23" monitor with a max resolution of 1920x1080.

The 5770 that I was set on is the following:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

The 460 that I have been checking out is also an MSI:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510

My only concern is that I have read about the bottleneck that could occur using a 460 if using anything less than an i7. With my current hardware in mind, would it make sense to spend an extra 50 bucks for the Nvidia card? Would I see a significant increase in performance using the above mentioned setup? Also, I am far from a hardcore gamer, but would like a card that runs the few that I do play at a high framerate, resolution, and details. Final note, I am at about 50c idle already, so max temps are a consideration, since I am running a bit hot already.

Thanks for any help with this. I'll probably be picking the card up early next month after payday.

Brandon
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 5770
  1. nah, don't worry about that bottleneck, just OC your cpu a little bit, let's say 3.0GHz and you're good to go...
    GTX460 is better so go for it, it will good for 23" monitor. :)
  2. The 460 is more powerful, so if you are willing to spend extra it's the obvious choice. The 955 is good enough to cope cope with it.
  3. Best answer
    I doubt you'll see any restriction with a GTX460, the PII 955 is far from a slouch, besides, the HD5770 starts to struggle at that resolution so the faster card is by far the best way to go.
    That temperature-If it's for the CPU it sounds far too high at idle, even with a stock cooler and needs to be sorted quickly or you run the risk of frying it when loaded.
    If the high CPU temperature is because the system is in a small case with limited airflow I'd advise you to go for a stock GTX460, unlike the MSI card you linked to, the stock cooler exhausts its heat out of the case.
  4. Yeah that x4 955 is sure enough for a GTX460. The PSU is great as well. You're good to go.
  5. Thanks for your responses! What are your thoughts between these two 460's?

Asus
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391

Zotac (when does the Amp! version hit stores???)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814500169

They both have the full shroud, so that might be a better option for me in keeping the temp down. Also, I plan on getting a couple addt'l case fans (Scythe GT), so hopefully that will balance everything out, at the least.
  6. I'd say get the ASUS.
  7. Like everyone the GTX460 is the best choice. Umm of those the Asus CuCore seems to be the better choice. From experience of Asus's 5850 CuCore's they cool and have a much larger OC headroom. So the Asus would be my choice to go.
  8. Quote:
    Why would your choices be limited to 2 cards that are not even in the same price bracket??

I'm guessing that you are referring to my initial question deciding between the 5770 and the 640? Since I am only a casual gamer, I had decided to go with a sub $200 card, and the 5770's seemed to fit the bill for a good card in that range. With all of the talk with the 640's I decided to check in to those and figured I could swing a few more bucks for a card that delivers performance comparable to some of the 5800 series cards. I was concerned about any potential bottleneck with my setup and core temps, so I came here to see if it was a worthy jump.

I'm open to any suggestions if those 2 cards pale to another. Those were just the 2 that I picked up on in looking around late last night... perhaps my judgement was clouded from a lack of sleep. Any suggestions? Also, anyone know when the Zotac 640 Amp! will be available for purchase?
  9. I think zipzoomflyhigh was saying you should be comparing the 5830 and the 460 if you are willing to spend $200.
  10. Another vote for the Asus GTX 460 1Gb.
  11. Andon48 said:
    I think zipzoomflyhigh was saying you should be comparing the 5830 and the 460 if you are willing to spend $200.

I wasn't considering the 5830 only because I have read that in many situations the 640 will out perform the 5830 and even the 5850 once in a while. Based on that information, since the 5850 cards average over $300, a 640 seemed to be the best option for the money. Anyone agree? Disagree?
  12. brandoncatz said:
    I wasn't considering the 5830 only because I have read that in many situations the 640 will out perform the 5830 and even the 5850 once in a while. Based on that information, since the 5850 cards average over $300, a 640 seemed to be the best option for the money. Anyone agree? Disagree?

That's GTX460, not a GTX640:D

I agree for the GTX460. Really a great card for the money.
  13. the price gap is not much considering you can get a 5850 for 270.00$ and a 1Gb 460 for 230.00$, basically a 40.00$ difference.
  14. unknown_13 said:
    That's GTX460, not a GTX640:D

I agree for the GTX460. Really a great card for the money.

Like a dummy I did that a few times last night and every time Google was like "did you mean...?". My fingers and/or brain are working against me! :pt1cable:
    Thanks for the feedback and the punch in the arm. :lol:
  15. OvrClkr, I totally get what you're saying, and although it is only an extra $40 from where I am at now, it is almost $100 more than I was initially planning to spend. And with me being a furloughed CA state employee, I don't know if I want to throw another 40 bucks down, since I was already questioning the cost jump to the 460. Also, it looks like the 460 often compares or is just under the 5850 in a lot of tests. Unfortunately, the major factor in my decision will come down to cost (as it does for many), so I gotta stick to my budget.
  16. Brandon, does your motherboard support Crossfire or SLI?

That CPU will not bottleneck either crossfired 5850's or SLI'd GTX 460's so i would shoot for what your motherboard supports and then save up for a twin... :)
  17. brandoncatz said:
    OvrClkr, I totally get what you're saying, and although it is only an extra $40 from where I am at now, it is almost $100 more than I was initially planning to spend. And with me being a furloughed CA state employee, I don't know if I want to throw another 40 bucks down, since I was already questioning the cost jump to the 460. Also, it looks like the 460 often compares or is just under the 5850 in a lot of tests. Unfortunately, the major factor in my decision will come down to cost (as it does for many), so I gotta stick to my budget.

I was not recommending the 5850, I was just giving you an example of the price difference. Of course the 270.00$ 5850 is the XFX with the egg cooler which is crap IMO. If we were to compare the best 460 with the best 5850 the price difference jumps to 70.00$
  18. if he has a GD70 its CF only, not sure if he is aware of that..
  19. Actually the HIS iCooler V is a great card as a 5850 plus is one of the cheaper 5850's. But it is a 60$, the XFX cards although using reference design still a great. I know that because I'm using a reference design Diamond 5850 and since your board can only handle CF a single 5850 is a beast unmatched. XD (Over exaggerating) But it can be OC'd to perform at the level of a 5870 (It is actually pretty easy to OC it to a 5870 performance) :D Saving you 100$ sum dollars.
  20. Ya, the board supports CF, and it has an IGP with the R3300 chipset (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130224). I was content using that for a while, since it gave me the 1080p signal to my monitor and I could play some newer games at lower settings, but now it seems that any games that I install won't run even at the lowest settings. I'm guessing no one here has ever tried to play Just Cause 2 on an IGP, but I couldn't even get thru the opening scene on the lowest res and settings.

I've thought about dual cards, but with as little gaming as I do, I can't imagine that I would ever go that route. In a couple years when I am ready for a new vid card I'll just sell mine, if I can, and upgrade.
  21. Which is my thought, I don't do intense gaming an a 5850 is good enough. Not to mention you can pretty much OC it to a 5870 and run fine. Plus it'll give you a lot of headroom playing on 1680x1050 which is the standard res size nowa days. XD So yeah. But it is your choice after all.
  22. Thanks for all the info, everyone! I'm going with the gtx460, but haven't zeroed in on a particular card, yet. So many choices. Started looking at Gigabyte's model, also... oy vay...
  23. Best answer selected by brandoncatz.
  24. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product